Paradox

Though she was on the spotlight, Irene gave a short speech; she took it modest, knowing that she wasn't the center of the event itself. She shared the credits with Jennie and Rosé.

"Lastly, I want to thank both Jennie Kim and Roseanne Park, International Business majors class of 20xx, for being the generous host and catering provider.." Irene paused to give the audience time to cheer on the girls, ".. on behalf of The Kim Properties and Real Estates and Park Royal Cuisine as a way to support our future scientists and inventors."

***

"Your girlfriend is rich rich??"

Lisa was still trying to process this, "So my girl and her bestie paid for all this?"

"Shit..."

Jisoo shivered, she hadn't said anything. She knew that Jennie is rich, but she never knew that she is that rich. She glanced at Jennie, who was now busy talking with their seniors. She was just a few tables away, but that morning, it felt like she was far away and she couldn't get to her.

She thought about the paradox she told Jennie last summer: that she seemed so distant but actually within her reach; but right now, her paradox was flipped right at the poles. She felt a sharp pain somewhere deep inside her chest; what if Jennie is just someone for her to admire from afar?

She was still staring at the girl when she realized that Jennie was looking back at her, her cold gaze turned slowly into a warm one like she was actually glad to see Jisoo this very weekend.

Maybe sooner that you expect... Last time she called, Jennie told her that.

She smiled back at Jennie, her brain registering her face that day; her soft look, her warm smile and her overall beautiful self. Where will she end up in her life? Will this picture be a sweet or bitter memory one day?

She wouldn't know. All she knows right now, that the girl looks breath-taking.

***