Chapter 40: Hiking trail

" ": You talking

' ': You thinking

* *: Narrator/Voice-off

Your POV:

Aqua: I think there are problems with the water source.

"So they decided to stop going after individual springs, and went all out for this one, huh..."

Kazuma: This was more akin to a simulation test. But if that happens again... Isn't the water source at the top of the hill behind the Axis cult's main base ?

"You think the other party got pressured by the manhunt order and rushed their plan of attack ?"

Kazuma: That would make sense. But how did he infiltrate such a heavily-guarded place... ?

Wiz: ... You said his name was... Hans, right ?

"I believe it's what I heard, yes."

Wiz: ... Hans...

Darkness: Hey, what are you eating ? Give me some too.

"Hands off ! You don't get between a man and his lunch !"

Kazuma: You know... I've been feeling that recently you've been dumber than Aqua.

Darkness: ... hah ? Hey, what do you mean by that ? Are you implying that I'm usually behaving like an idiot ?

"I sure hope you're not meaning that about me. I'm the sole reason the combined IQ of our party can reach three digits, and you know it."

Kazuma: You all are idiots !

Darkness: Well then, how long are you going to play around ? Time to go ! Water source ! We'll head to the hill behind the cult's headquarters to investigate !

Kazuma: ... 'Self-conscious that the only thing you did so far was use your family's name, huh ?' All right, let's go to the water source and look.

"I have the distinct impression we're forgetting something important..."

"I stand corrected, we did forget something important."

Aqua: Hey, I'm an Archpriest from the Axis Cult ! Look closely ! Hey, look at my adventurer card carefully !

Guard: No, even if you're an archpriest of the Axis Cult, I can't let you through. Only the manager of the hot springs is allowed to go in.

Kazuma: I can understand their reaction though. A group of fully-armed people suddenly wanting to pass through the check-point.

"Yup. Although the sight of Aqua not getting what she wants is strangely appealing to me."

Aqua: ... Thou devoted axis cultists... hear me, this is a necessary action. A just course. If thou allow passage, this city shall-

Guard: Ah, i'm a believer of Eris.

"PFFFFFRRRRRR !!"

Aqua: Why ?! Why do you follow Eris's religion even though you're living in this city ?! ... Hey, please, let me go in ! There's big trouble at the source ! This is for the sake of the hot spring city ! I... I just want to save this city !

"... hey, want me to teleport everyone behind these guards or something ?"

Kazuma: You can do that ?