Chapter 44: Law and order, special victim unit

" ": You talking

' ': You thinking

* *: Narrator/Voice-off

Your POV:

Aqua: She's really hurt ! I'm gonna go cast heal on her right a-

"Kazuma, don't let her !"

Kazuma: Right, hold your horses !

Aqua: Gah- ! What's the big idea ?! We can't just leave her there ! I didn't think even you were such a monster !

Kazuma: Take it easy. My enemy detection skill is acting up. That's a monster in disguise.

Aqua: Huh ?

"Let just flip through my notes... Yeah, here it is... The 'Leisure girl'."

*Leisure Girl. This plant monster won't harm people physically... However, it'll give travelers a strong urge to protect it, luring them to its side. The temptation is hard to resist, and if you become emotionally attached, you'll be trapped until death. It's rumored that this monster possesses high intelligence, but that's still inconclusive. It might sound cruel, but any adventurer team that encounters this monster must exterminate it.*

Darkness: h- Hey, she looks like she's gonna cry ! Is she really a monster ?

"Oh trust me... I've been very thorough with these."

Kazuma: For once, I'm glad your habit of taking all these notes about monsters turns out to be useful.

Megumin: G- Guys... She's... Waving at us... Trying so hard not to cry...

"*As the monster will smile with relief when travelers stay by its side, it's hard to leave her. It'll show a crying face if you want to leave. The kinder you are, the more likely you'll be trapped by this monster, so please use caution.*"

Megumin: I... I just want to go give her a big hug !

Kazuma: Stop it, weren't you listening ?! That's exactly how it gets people !

Megumin: Well... But...

Darkness: I- I can't she may be a monster, but she's hurt !

Aqua: That's right ! It says she doesn't do direct damage, doesn't it ?

"Yeah... It's worse."

Aqua: It's okay now. I'm going to heal your wounds... ... Huh ? These aren't injuries... These bandages only look like bandages.

"Were you listening at all ? Ragged clothes, bloody bandages and little girl motif are all to lure people in."

"*Once you're trapped, it'll cling on to you, making it hard to get away. Also, when the traveler tries to leave because of hunger, the most dangerous thing this monster will do is pick the fruit it bears and offer it to the traveler. It tastes delicious and gives those who eat it a sense of being full... However, the fruit contains no nutrients, so whoever eats it will slowly wither away no matter how much they eat. The traveler will be stricken by their conscience when they see the girl cutting off and offering the fruits it bore itself. In the end, they won't even eat, and will die of undernourishment.*"

Darkness: W- Wow... She's more dangerous than a monster who outright attacks you. B- But even so...

Megumin: Th- This is my first time seeing a Leisure girl, but I know of them. And yet...

Girl: ... ... ... Will you... Stay with me... ?

 ?