Chapter 42 Useless usefulness

" ": You talking

' ': You thinking

* *: Narrator/Voice-off

Your POV:

*B-TOOOOOOOOOOM*

Hans: GAAARG !!

Kazuma: He... He really went to fight him one-on-one ?!

Aqua: Well, let's go too ! It'll be bad if this goes on ! If the last remaining water source gets polluted, it'll be a long time before the hot springs will be available in this city again ! The Axis Cult in this city will disband !

Megumin/Kazuma: isn't that a good thing ?

Aqua: WAAAAAAHHH !!

Wiz: Wait... E- Everyone ! Stop joking with Aqua-sama ! The important thing right now is...

*F-TWOOOOOOOOOOOM*

Kazuma: THAT ONE WAS TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT !!

"Then get your sorry asses over here ! He's shapeshifting to avoid my shots, and that's annoying !"

Kazuma: Shapeshifting... Hey, that reminds me, he changed his form into that of the grandpa who manages the hot spring to get in, right ? Where's the real manager ? He should be a blonde old man, right...

"You heard the man. Now answer."

Hans: Him ? I ate him.

Kazuma: ... What, what did you just say ?!

Hans: I said, I ate him. i'm a slime, isn't eating an instinct ? Anyway, my shapeshifting ability only works if I devour-

Wiz: CURSED CRYSTAL PRISON !!

*SKRRRRRRRK*

Aqua: What was that ?!

Wiz: ... ... ... ... ... My condition for staying neutral, and not interfering with the Demon king's army, was the guarantee that, adventurers and knights aside, the Demon King's army won't harm civilians who are non-combatants, right ?

Hans: W- Wiz, stop ! Undo your spell ! WIZ !!

Wiz: It's inevitable for adventurers to lose their lives in battle. They take the lives of monsters every day, that's their livelihood. They must've made the resolve of being killed by monsters. It's the same for knights, their salary is paid by the people, and in exchange, they must protect the citizens. It couldn't be helped if they had to sacrifice their very lives...

Hans: Wiz ! You really want to fight me ? If we go at it for real, this area will be contaminated... !

Wiz: But the hot spring manager grandpa was innocent !

Kazuma: S- So that's the serious Wiz...

Aqua: She's scaring me...

"It might be worse than you think... She could force that kind of deal onto the Demon King itself..."

Hans: Wiz ! Sorry, but I don't plan to fight you ! Let me finish my chores and leave !

*SKRRRRRRRAAAK*

Aqua: He tore off his own arm !

"Of course, he's a slime ! I've been mauling him with laser beams, how do you think he's not falling apart by now ?!"

Megumin: He's charging in to the last water source !

Aqua: What ?! He's so fast ! Shouldn't slimes be those soft, cute gooey monsters that move slowly ?!