Chapter 137: Your Best Friend

" ": You talking

' ': You thinking

* *: Narrator/Voice-off

Your POV:

Aqua: Just where did you run off to, Megumin ? I didn't think you hated the idea of seducing that guy so much that you'd rather camp out in the wilds. I wouldn't have forced you to go through with it, so don't go to such dangerous places anymore, okay ?

Megumin: That's not it. Just what kind of a barbarian do you think I am ? It's true that I left because I didn't want to seduce that man, but there's a proper reason for why I'm so covered in mud.

"... So, what kind of reckless things did you do ? Did you find a monster and chased it down too far ? Or did you run after the children after they made fun of your name again ?"

Megumin: Just who do you think I am ?! There isn't any child around here who would make fun of my name anymore. I made sure to teach all of them a lesson.

Darkness: H- Hey, the parents around town have been coming to me to complain about your actions, you know ? I have to apologize for you every time, so please keep that in mind and don't do that sort of thing anymore, okay ?

"That still doesn't answer the question. So, what happened ?"

Megumin: Well, I didn't really have any place to go after running away from home last night. I thought I'd be able to meet some adventurers I know, so I wandered around town for a bit... I came across Yunyun who was desperately trying to recruit others who would undertake that trial with her, so I lent her my aid once again.

"Yeah, I can already tell what happens next, you can stop right here."

Megumin: Listen to me. I have the ability to learn, you know ? Last time I undertook the trial, the first riddle was to troublesome, so I ended up blowing it up with magic; this time, in order to prevent myself from letting loose in a fit of rage, I entrusted my staff to Yunyun and was only there to be her follower.

Kazuma: Oh ?

Megumin: But, leaving Yunyun who failed the last trial aside, I'm now forbidden from being a partner after destroying the trial grounds the first time. So, after discussing it with Yunyun last night, we formulated a plan to sneak onto the trial under cover of night.

"Kazuma, I heard your hope flickering just now."

Kazuma: ... I bet you can hear it deflating then...

Megumin: After splitting up in the woods, we arrived at the newly constructed trial grounds without issue. This time, we properly tried to solve the riddle. After all, there's the number one genius of the Crimson Demons and the one who claims to be that genius' rival at the scene; problems involving intelligence like riddles should be a cinch with the both of us.

Kazuma: I can't help but get a bad feeling about this.

Megumin: Come to think of it, I don't think either of us have properly studied anything since graduating from school... The magic item refused to accept our answers no matter how many times we attempted it, so I got fed up and took my staff back from Yunyun... Perhaps because it was night when we attempted the trial, but the monsters started gathering after hearing the sound...

"... I already know the answer, but I'll ask just in case, you didn't get found out by the people in the village, did you ?"

Megumin: Who do you think I am ? As we were running away from the monsters, the people from the village started rushing over after hearing the sound of the Explosion ! Yunyun used Teleport to transport us to the village, so we managed to slip past them and made ourselves dinner while we waited for them to come back ! But I underestimated the magical knowledge of the Crimson Demons. They somehow knew that I was the culprit by the next day, and asked me to compensate for the magic item...