Chapter 58: Hail hydra

" ": You talking

' ': You thinking

* *: Narrator/Voice-off

Your POV:

"... ... ... ... You know..."

Chomusuke: *Blissful purring*

"The more I look at it, the less I think this is a normal cat... You don't shed even in summer... Is this like really just this world's version of cats or something more... I've seen catgirls adventurers around already, so... That's what Kazuma would think, anyway-"

Darkness: EVERYONE !! LET'S HUNT A MONSTER BOUNTY ! A BIG ONE !

"Gh- !"

Chomusuke: MEOOOOOOOOOOOOWW !!

"GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH !!"

"So... Firstly, nice to have you back. Second, what was that right before I almost got my eye gouged out ?"

Darkness: I- I just stopped by the guild to see of there was any good quests. People seem to be having trouble with this one !

"Hold on. You disappear for an entire night, and this is how you come back ? What even happened with Alderp ?"

Darkness: Idiot, I wasn't out all night ! I stayed at my house because I didn't want to bother you guys by coming home late ! But listen, this is what matters !

"... ... Bounty: Kowloon hydra... ? What is this, one of the twelve tasks ?"

Darkness: Twelve tasks ? Never heard of that. The Kowloon hydra lives in the mountains near Axel. When it uses up all the magical power its stored in its body, it goes to sleep at the bottom of a lake. There, it starts absorbing MP from the surrounding land. A hydra can take up to ten years to store enough MP to wake up again... And this one went to sleep just about a decade ago.

"... Talk about over-sleeping... I can get how this would concern us, but... This certainly ain't the first time it happened, so they must have some form of counter-measure ready."

Darkness: Y- yes, but...

"Tell me. You wouldn't happen to come up with this quest to distract us so we don't ask questions about last night, would you ? They were worried that weirdo was putting the moves on you."

Darkness: Wha ?! Wh- What happened yesterday has nothing to do with any of you. It's Noble business, you should stay out of it. A- Anyway, I'll talk to Megumin. I'll bet she'd be interested...

"Everyone's out right now. Megumin and Kazuma went to one of their so-called 'Explosion dates'. And Aqua's shopping to get a collar for her ch- erm, dragon."

Darkness: O- Oh.

"And you know Kazuma. No matter how much you cry and beg, he's staying home."

Darkness: B- But ! Grass has been seen growing by the lakeside recently. That means the hydra doesn't need to absorb any more magical power from the land and will soon wake up. And when it does, the town will be in danger !

"And unless you convince him this mansion of his will be crushed, there's no way you can get him to move his butt. If you want him to move, you have to threaten him with what he knows is dangerous. Which means the threat of me shoving a blaster up his a-"

Kazuma: Can't believe I got dragged into this... Just asking, but... What if we can't defeat the hydra ? What if we only manage to make it angry ?