Chapter 154: Exposed

" ": You talking

' ': You thinking

* *: Narrator/Voice-off

Your POV:

Kazuma: I would rather have a talk in some cafe somewhere rather than this secluded alley, but...

Serena: What I'm about to tell you isn't something we should be talking about within a store... People don't often pass through here, and we can easily change topics even if someone stumbles upon us. So, shall we have a little chat ?

Serena: -And eventually, that person was consumed by evil forces... I don't know when it started, but eventually, the people of the world ended up referring to her by a single name... The Demon King. The Demon King isn't hurting the inhabitants of this world by her own will...

Kazuma: How could this be... To think that sort of manga-like development would actually happen...

Serena: ... Manga ? ... Anyway, because of that, that young girl ended up becoming the Demon King. Her form has been twisted to a truly hideous form by that cure, but it will soon be broken... Please, Kazuma-sama, as the chosen hero by the Goddess, I'm sure you're itching to rid the world of the Demon King who has brought so much suffering to mankind. But the Demon King used to be a helpless young girl too ! Could you please delay your plans of defeating the Demon King ? If you really can't... If you are truly dead set on defeating the Demon King, then please, allow me to join your party and bring me to her...

Kazuma: ... ... 'Yes, this is it ! This is the sort of things I wanted when I came to this world ! Goddesses getting eaten by frogs, Demon King's Generals who subsists on bread crumbs and sugar water, chasing down runaway cabbages and working part-time as a construction worker, cat-eared orcs and elves with detachable ears, etc... yes, this were the outliers ! Even in this world, there exists a proper tragic story, an actual fantasy-like development ! Yes, it's just everyone else I've met is odd !'

Kazuma: Still, Serena-san, why do you think I'm the one chosen by the Goddess ? To be frank, taking down all those Generals and high-bounty targets is more of a fluke than anything else.

Serena: ... I knew there was something different about you the moment I heard your name, Kazuma-sama. I do not know if you are aware of this, but every so often, beings with special powers will appear in this world; Those powers take the form of skills, of physical attributes, of strange magics and weapons. There's a large variety of them, but one thing they all have in common is that they all strike fear to those of the Demon King.

Kazuma: Err, well, I do kind of know of them... Anyway, you think I'm one of those guys because of my strange name, right ? Well, sorry to say this, but I don't really have any special-

Serena: No, it's not because you have a strange name ! It's true, those who possess such special powers tend to have strange names, but that's not what convinced me that you are special. There was once a legendary swordsman who brought much destruction to the Demon King's forces ! The moment I heard your name, I was certain of it ! You are his descendant !

Kazuma: ... Why do you think so ?

Serena: That person's name was Satou; Could it really be mere coincidence for someone else to have such a rare name ? I do not believe so !

Kazuma: 'That's the most common surname back in my country.' Serena-san, i'm sorry to say that, but it's the unmistakable truth that I'm an adventurer with the weakest job. The story you just told me was really exciting and all, but, well, it's impossible for me to defeat the Demon King. I don't intend to face him in the first place, and even if I did, I don't have the ability to. Plus, from what you've told me, the curse is going to wear off soon, and the Demon king is just a young girl, right ? No, no, that's totally impossible. I don't have the resolve needed to kill a person. Just dealing with humanoid monsters is tough enough as is.