Chapter 41 - That Drive

(Songs for this chapter -
Promise - BEN HOWARD
Depends On - JOY.
Coastline - HOLLOW COVES)

COYOTE POV

I feel a hand in my hair and I slightly jerk awake, opening my eyes to see the outline of Johns face.
"I'm sorry darling it's just me, it's still dark but I want to take you somewhere would that okay?" His voice is soft but tired. He must be so exhausted grief does that, makes you more tired than you thought possible.

I move my head a little so I can see him better, waiting for my eyes to adjust in the dark. I try to speak forgetting that I can't for a second, just a muffled soft wheezing sound is all that comes out.

"Don't strain your throat gorgeous it will take longer to heal, give it a few days and we'll see then." I lean over towards the lamp to turn it on and sit up as I do.

Johns hair is all messy, he looks so charming when it's like that. I hate it, why can't I just be angry with him. One look one touch and my heart has forgiven everything. Although my subconscious hasn't, my self preserving instincts stop me from getting too close to him.

I look over at his adorable face and nod yes, he smiles at me before he moves out of bed, putting his clothes on before he goes to my cupboard.
"Is there something warm in here or your draws?" He says looking back at me. I point to the draws, the bottom one specifically he follows my hand to the draw taking out a hoodie and some tracksuit pants.

He helps me into both of them, putting them on over the top of my pajama shorts and shirt.
"I got the boys to bring my truck in so we can go whenever you are ready." He quietly says as he adjusts the hoodie on my shoulders. I think this one is Blade's as it's a little too big on me.

I lean over and get Johns beanie from my bedside table, I never gave back the one I took off him at the Stag.
"You don't torture me enough as it is with how stunning you are that you also have to look better in my clothes than I do?" John says as he turns to see me in his beanie.

"Is this where my nickname came from? The night you stole my beanie." I nod as he helps me towards the door.
"You didn't take it off the whole night." He chuckles as we slowly go down the stairs. I know John would pick me up in a heartbeat but I don't think I can manage that yet. I still get anxious when he is touching me as much as I wish I didn't.

Once we are both in the truck and the heater is on he sweetly looks over at me.
"I though we might finally go on that drive, I have somewhere special I want to show you."
I could almost smile at how adorable he is being right now, almost. He slightly smiles back at me staring at him, he can tell I don't want to be distant but can't get close.

He breaks through my barriers like no one else does. What he said to me earlier in the bathroom broke my heart, his teary eyes looking up at me from my waist. That hurt me more than any weapon could ever.

I want to talk to him I want to tell him how much it hurt that I went to sleep thinking I was safe in his arms and woke up cuffed to a chair alone and surrounded by enemies. My worse nightmare brought to life, my chest still hurts because of it. It's a pain that won't go away so easily, I know he didn't give me up but he still left me alone when he promised me he wouldn't.

I can't think about it too much it makes me cry, it makes everything come back to the surface. And when I can't speak there is no point in getting upset, not when I can't tell him why I'm crying.

I wake up as the truck comes to a stop. It's still dark so I can't tell exactly where we are, all I see is an empty car park. I look over at John, reaching out to touch his hand, my way of saying sorry for falling asleep.