Chapter 90 - John

Merry Christmas everyone!
Hope you all had a wonderful day.
❤️❤️❤️

(Songs for this chapter
There's a Ghost - FLEURIE
Notre Dame - PARIS PALOMA
What Am I Here For - JADE BIRD)

COYOTE POV

I jolt awake, gasping for air.

It's always the same dream, even after all this time. I'm drowning in blood, watching him slowly die, being tortured to death and I can't get to him.

I had a moment of weakness up at the outpost, but I shouldn't have left. I'm no good, I can't drag him down into the shadows with me. I'll just get him killed too and I can't bear that.

I hear a slight knock on the door before it clicks open. "I've bought you some tea dear, another bad dream?" May asks as she walks in.

I just nod, I still don't speak. I'm scared if I open my mouth, all that will come out is screaming. And I don't think I'll be able to stop it once it starts.

Horrible memories begin to bubble to the surface but I swallow them back down with a sip of tea.

May softly sits on the end of the bed, every day she hopes I will talk to her. Every day I let her down.

"Does staying here bring up too many memories?" She softly asks while fluffing the corners of the blanket.

I shake my head no, if anything it's the opposite. I remember the nicer moments instead of just focusing on the bad ones. I can't count the amount of times I woken up in this room to the sound of the boys arguing or pranking each other, May yelling at them like they are all her children. Dallas making his famous spaghetti then banging on a pot once it's done, like we're cattle being called in to feed.

"Ending things with Dallas was one of the hardest decisions I had to make. Because I knew I'd lose all of you as well. Not that you didn't want to visit I'm sure but.."

But Dallas wasn't doing so well and needed us to take his side. We never spoke about it, we kind of all just knew. Dallas was a good captain and mentor but not a good husband. He was married to the job so May was never given the attention and love she deserved.

Even after it's been so long, I still feel loyal to him. He gave me a chance, wanted me to join his team. I've been here four days and I already feel like I should go.

"John called again this morning, asking after you." May adds to the awkward silence.

I take another sip of tea and gaze out the window.

"He's not going to give up on you."

He should.

"Aliya, you know you've never had to prove yourself. You are enough just the way you are. John knows and sees that, if you could only see yourself the way he does, the way we all do."

The way he does.

That makes my chest tighten.

I know you are tough, intelligent and beautiful. And that you don't believe you are no matter how much i say it

He's said nothing but wonderful things to me. Even after learning everything, seeing my scars.

I want you to tell me everything no matter what it is. I want to be your rock, someone you can trust and will always come to when you need help.