1

[Picture of Andrew Hills]

  I look down at my newly polished fingernails. They finally don't look like trash. I observe the French manicure I just got done over the weekend.

  Speaking of weekends, don't you think they go by a little too fast? I feel like it was just yesterday that it was Friday.

   I have no idea how it's Monday already. I swear we need longer weekends. We should have off five days a week and school for only two. How amazing would that be?

  I glance up at my math teacher Mr. Connery up at the board, writing down the equation y=mx+b. I never understood any of this stuff. Wasn't math supposed to be numbers? Where in the world did he get letters from?

  "Oh, Ashley.. can you please tell us what the 'b' stands for?" He calls out to me ripping me away from my thoughts.

  I blink a few times trying to think, but I just can't remember. "I um.. I don't know." He raises his eyebrows at me before turning to one of my classmates from across the room.

  "Keira, would you please tell Ashley what the 'b' stands for?"

"The y-intercept." She says shortly after. Well, that was a pretty obvious answer. Oh well, I guess I won't be doing well with this lesson either. Could you tell I'm in integrated math?

   Mr. Connery continues the lesson. I don't really pay any attention, however. He lost me at 'thank you Keira'.

   I glance at the clock to see that there are luckily 20 minutes left of this dang class. Thank god I don't have a double period today. If I did I'd commit.

   I sat by the window and from where I had been sitting, I could see the glass hallway pretty clearly. If someone were to walk down that hallway they'd see me and I'd see them right away.

   I just gaze out the window at the empty hallway, every few minutes tuning into the lesson. I couldn't concentrate long enough to actually grasp the information though.

   A few minutes had gone by before I turn to see movement in the hallway. The principal and a guy with an unfamiliar face were walking down that hallway. He has very defined facial features and a muscular build. His hair is a dark shade of brown, with a pale complexion. He's actually pretty attractive.

  He was walking with his hands in his pockets looking down at the floor. I saw the principal speaking to him but I saw the disinterest in this guy's face. He gave me an edgy vibe, and I had a sudden curiosity.

Who is this guy?

Why is it that I haven't seen him before?

They start to come closer and closer until he finally looks up, staring at the hallway in front of him then at me. I felt a shiver go down my spine as we briefly stare at each other.

  I couldn't see him after that but my heart rapidly thumped in my chest. I swallow hard, looking at the clock then at the door.

   He and the principal pass our door slowly, and our eyes lock for a brief few seconds and my heart rate skyrockets. His dark brown eyes seemed to be fixated on me. From where I was sitting his eyes looked so dark that they could've been black.

   If I thought I couldn't concentrate before, it would be impossible to pay any kind of attention now. My thoughts kept going back to that very handsome stranger. The one with the leather jacket and dark wash jeans. He looked so... perfect.

  He wouldn't leave my brain! I was occupied with thoughts of him throughout the whole class. I don't even think, I think about my boyfriend this much.

    This is crazy, I don't even know this boy's name.

  The bell finally rings and I quickly get up and clutch my unorganized binder in my hands. There were crinkled up pieces of paper crushed and wrinkled into it. I can never find the things I need, not that I actually have them. Huh, most of the time I don't even copy notes or even have a pencil with me.

  My life is a mess.

  I eagerly start to leave the room and head up the stairs to my next class. Next up we have language arts.

Yay.

Notice my sarcasm.

   I look out for that guy but I guess he's at his class already or something. Teenagers flood the halls leaving their classrooms and making their way through the school.

"Ashley!" I turn around to see my friend Colleen walking up to me. I started to walk towards her. She's in my next period class so we just went together. "Did you hear about the new kid?"

"What new kid?" I asked thinking about the unfamiliar dark eyed boy.

"Andrew Hills? The one that got kicked out of Brookeway high school?" She asks as we both near the room.

"I think I saw him just before." We both stop in our tracks as we walk into room 214.

"That's him." She whispers to me.

There he was, Andrew hills, the one I saw just minutes ago. He was leaning against the wall by the teacher's desk waiting to be seated. He looks up again slowly with a frown on his face, his eyes land on me as Colleen and I snuck to our usual seat in the back.

"I saw him before," I whisper over to her.

"Ashley I think he's staring at you." We both look over at him. He was staring me dead in the eye and I don't have the slightest idea why. My breath hitched and I quickly look away.

"Andrew why don't you sit in the back where Colleen is sitting." I couldn't believe my ears.

"Be careful I hear he's bad news." She warns before she got up. I keep my eyes down onto my desk, examining my messy binder. Andrew sits down right beside me and I all of a sudden became a nervous wreck.

He leans back in his chair with his hands in his pockets, turning his head to look at me. I see him smirk from the corner of my eye. As soon as he looks away I subtly turn my head to get a closer look.

I observe his cheekbones and jawline, unable to look away.

Ashley look away! Snap out of it!

You.

Have.

A.

Boyfriend.

"You like what you see?" A semi-deep masculine voice teases.

"W-What?" This takes me by surprise.

"Weren't you just staring at me?" He turns to face me and I got lost in his dark eyes.

"Um no," I answer frowning.

"Yeah, I bet." And with that, he turns away once again as the teacher begins her lesson.