77

I started the engine of Andrew's car, putting my seat belt on. The engine ran for what seemed like forever, with my hands on the wheel until his voice broke me away from my anxious state.

"You can do it. What comes next?" He quizzed me. I took a few deep breaths before racking my brain for the next step.

  "Set the car to 'drive'?" I answered in an unsure tone.

   "Are you asking me or telling me?" Andrew asked . I thought this one over long and hard before switching gears on the stick shift.

  "Telling you."

"Good." We were currently parallel parked right in front of my house. I turned the wheel slowly to the left as the car ran slowly without me even having to press the gas pedal.

   "You can step on the pedal you know." Andrew informed.

   "I know." I responded, concentrating on not hitting the trash cans.

   "Your going too slow. Try going a little faster." I put a little more pressure on the gas, and almost lost control of the Mazda. Wow great advice.

   I knocked over one of the garbage cans, before slamming the breaks. We jolted backwards at the sudden stop. Luckily I didn't hit anything else.

   "Ash!" I heard Andrew exclaim.

"Hey you were the one that told me to go faster." I pointed out. "I'm just doing what your telling me."

   "Nobody said to floor it though."

"I'll go as fast or as slow as I want." I joked. He rolled his eyes with slight smirk on his face.

  "Whatever ash, it's your funeral."

"Your forgetting that your in the car with me." I pointed out to him. "So technically if I die, you die with me."

   "That's true." I went  at a slow steady pace down the quiet street, making sure to check both way before turning right onto a dead end. "Make sure to put your turn signal on."

   "Oh, right. I forgot about that." I quickly looked at both of the side mirrors along with the rear view. Everything looked good so far.
At the end of the street I made a steady turn, heading back down the road.

   I slowed down, putting my left turn signal on as I made my way back to my street. I focused on making a perfect, damage-free turn, and surely enough I achieved my goal.

    I didn't hit any street signs, or mail boxes. I didn't even knock over any trash cans this time. Aren't you proud?

  I pressed the gas pedal slightly, going at a speed of fifteen miles per hour before coming to a stop. I parallel parked his black Mazda better than my previous attempts. Between both trash cans was an almost perfectly parked car.

   For my first lesson or whatever, I'm not sucking too bad. If anything I'm getting the hang of this pretty quickly. Where's my gold star?

   I turned off the car, sitting in the driver's seat. That was actually pretty enjoyable. Driving is actually so much fun.

    "Wow, that was pretty good, I'll give you that." Andrew said confidently. "For your first time that was impressive."

  "Well thank you."