79

I sat in language arts class, fumbling through my things trying to find a working pencil. Today surprisingly we were assigned something else, other than to update our journals.

   Mrs. Kennedy handed out text books, since we had to analyze a stupid story of our choosing. Great, this will be fun. More pointless work to occupy us students. It was a miracle I even made it out of bed this morning.

   I was planning on staying home again like yesterday, but my mom had blown up my phone with her numerous text messages telling me to get to school. I really would rather be at home.

   Nowhere near any of these horrible people.

I looked over to see Colleen, flipping through the pages of the book. She finally realized I was looking in her direction and she smiled.

   I gave her a small smile in return before she raised her eyebrows with a quick head nod. I rolled my eyes before turning, back to see Andrew beginning to sit down right beside me. I avoided eye contact when he looked in my direction.

   I flipped through teach page trying to find an interesting story to analyze. Something that looked interesting as well as short. I hate reading so this should be fun.

   There was a page long story about dogs on page three hundred and five. I love dogs so I guess this is the article.

   "Ash I-"

"Don't." I interrupted him sharply. I didn't bother to glance up at him. The melancholy tone in his voice painted a picture of what his face looks like.

   "I was looking for you yesterday, but I didn't see you." He whispered.

   "That's because I stayed home."

"Well I wanted to talk to you.."

  "What is there to talk about?" I asked in disinterest, scanning the page. I was reading the words but I didn't understand a thing. I read the same first sentence over and over again, unable to comprehend anything.

   "You know what I want to talk to you about." It was quiet, since I didn't really feel like responding. I got the chills every time he spoke, feeling slightly nervous but I pushed that aside. "Ashley please."

   "What Andrew? What do you want from me?" I beseeched in a hushed tone. That's when I finally looked over at him, clearly frustrated. I saw his sad eyes, looking into mine.

   "Tell me if there's anything I can do to make this right." He put a warm hand over mine, sending chills down my spine. I couldn't let my guard down so I pulled away, remembering the circumstances.

    "I don't think that there's anything that you can do." My voice broke, as unaware tears welled up in my eyes. I blinked them away, refusing to cry in front of not only him, but the whole class.

    "Don't say that." From the tone in his whispered voice, I could tell that he didn't like what I just said. If anything it may have made him nervous.

   Well sorry but I'm not looking to be a step mom to Tasha's child. Excuse me for wanting no part in this messed up situation. I'm using my get out of jail free card at this point.

  Don't get me wrong Andrew, you've been a huge part of my life and all, but I just can't watch you be a parent to someone else's kid. Especially Tasha Hailand's  of all people.

   I just can't put myself through that.

"Why not?" I asked seeing the worry in his face.

  "Because I don't want to lose you!" He hissed. I looked at him wide eyed, unsure of what to say.

   "And you think that I want to?" I asked dropping my pencil. "Andrew I don't want to lose you either."

   "Then stay with me." I saw a small smile form on his face and my heart fluttered. His dimples were so adorable every time he smiled. Gosh, he's gorgeous.

    "Andrew, your going to become a father." I whispered a little quieter, stating the obvious. "I don't want to be in the middle of all this." My features softened.

   "But I want you in the middle of this. I want you right beside me."

   "I just.. I can't be with you if your going to have a baby with her." I replied.

"Ashley.. don't do this."

   "I'm sorry, but maybe you should've thought before you crawled into bed with her." I mocked. I saw the hurt in his face, but he doesn't possibly know how it feels for me being on the other side of this.

  Yeah I know we weren't dating but, it would've eventually gotten to that point. Let's be real here.

   I don't want to date a teen dad. God forbid the same thing happens to me, but that isn't the main concern. If indeed this kid is Andrew's, that means permanent ties to Tasha, and I can't sit through that.

   "If situations were reversed, you know I'd be right here beside you." He pointed out.

   "Well I'm not planning on getting pregnant any time soon." I remarked continuing to read the page. I still have no clue what it says.

  I swear this is written in Japanese.

  "That's not my point ash."

"Then what exactly are you trying to say?" I knew deep down what he meant.

   "I'm trying to say, that I'd at least put in a little effort because we're stronger than one stupid mistake that I made."

    "This wasn't a mistake Andrew, this was a massive slap in the face if this girl isn't lying." I responded. It was quiet between us.

   I took a peak to see him furrow his eyebrows. He looked like he was in deep thought over my answer. I just ignored it, continuing my work.

   I must have forgotten how to read. All that reading and comprehension we did in elementary school was all for nothing. See school is completely useless.

    "Yeah if she isn't lying." He repeated.

Emphasis on if.

                                          •••

Terrible chapter but everyone comment what your thinking at this very moment.

(I'm very much aware of all these cringe grammar mistakes, bare with me)