4

[Picture of Josh Wood]

"I'm coming around to check homework." Mr. Connery announced, putting on his glasses.

Crap!

"Mara, did you do the homework?" I nervously asked. I turned to face her my eyes slightly wide.

  "Yeah, why?" She answered.

"Can I copy it?" At first, she hesitated to give me an eye roll.

"I guess.." She opened up to the 6-1 mixed review. Good thing it's only five questions.

"Do you have a piece of paper I can borrow?" I asked.

  "It's in the binder."

"And a pencil?"

Now she looked really annoyed with me. Whoops!

"Seriously Ashley? You should be more prepared." Mara is one of my closest friends but I tend to get on her nerves a lot. Always asking her for things, but it's all good.

"So do you have a pencil?"

"Obviously!" She rolled her eyes again this time sarcastically. She handed me a pencil she had tucked into her binder flap. "Give it back when you're done."

   I began writing the few problems she had written down as fast as I could. I can't get another zero. My handwriting was a sloppy mess but oh well at least I 'did my homework'.

   Just in time, I handed Mara her book back. Mr. Connery marked her paper with a smiley face. As he continued checking over everyone else's work I sneakily put a piece of gum into my mouth.

  "Homework?" He asked looking down at the messy paper. He marked it with a smiley face and moved on.

  "Ashley who's that guy?" Mara asks looking towards the door.

  "What guy?" I looked at the spot she was pointing at with her thumb.

  "That guy."

Holy guacamole! This kid is everywhere! Andrew Hills was leaning against a locker right across my math class. My guess was that he's waiting for his friend, Jared. But why was he was looking into our classroom?

  The bigger question, why was he looking at me?

   I rolled my eyes looking away.

Um... excuse me do you mind not staring at me? Thanks.

He really needs to stop. I can't think straight when I feel his intimidating gaze on me. I snuck another look and luckily he was gone.

Thank you! I'm forever grateful.

The following lesson began and I could already tell that I wouldn't be focusing too much today either. I always found myself looking out the window, waiting for something more interesting than y=mx+b to happen.

I drifted into a deep thought about random things. From one thought to the other my mind was pretty much bouncing off walls. I thought about this Friday coming up.

I can't wait to see Josh. After his hockey practice, I was going to meet up with him for open skate. After dance of course.

Josh has golden blonde wave-like hair. With gorgeous blue eyes and a slim but semi-muscular build. He's just a year younger than me so it's not a huge age difference.

He has the strangest sense of humor and he knows how to make me laugh with his ridiculous impersonations. He really is the sweetest boyfriend though.

It's ju-

I felt a quick nudge on my arm. I escape my thoughts and look over at Mara blinking quickly. Her eyes were wide, her eyebrows raised tilting her head towards the front of the class.

I guess I was drifting off again. No surprise there.

I leaned my head on my left hand, my blonde shoulder-length hair draping over a section of my face.

"All you have to do is-" and that was the last thing I heard Mr. Connery say before I entered space once again.

Andrew. Andrew. Andrew. I wasn't even aware that I was thinking about him. He just crept into my brain, haunting my thoughts. I shook it off but there he remained in the back of my mind.

Andrew Hills.

You deserve way better.

What does he mean by that? I have the best boyfriend. He treats me well, he always knows what to say, he loves me...

How can I get any better than that?

Ok, so what if we barely see each other? He really tries. It's not his fault he has hockey all the time. It's also not his fault that his dad lost his license for drunk driving.

We'd go out more if we could. I know we would. But things just don't always work out how we want, unfortunately.

I'm just glad we'll be seeing each other in 2 days. Thank god. I really miss spending time with him.

Just two more days Ashley. Two more days. Two more days and you'll make up for all that lost time.

Just hang in there.

Andrew hills.

Shut up!

Andrew.

Stop!

Hills.

What is wrong with me?