Shouto Todoroki {Soulmate AU}

Requested by: musicandartforlife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

{Soulmate AU: Each person has a timer on their wrist, counting down to when they meet their soulmate}.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The timer on your wrist had never been something you were proud of. It would tick away the years, months, weeks, days and hours until you met your fated partner.

Gifted with an outstanding quirk, and prodigious intelligence, your soulmate was sure to be akin to all your qualities. Growing up in a society of Pro Heroes and preordained matches, you often wondered if it was a pleasant predicament. Although, you still hadn't met your other half.

And, in spite of the passing weeks, leading you ever closer to your impending encounter, you felt the blithe anticipation wither away.

Dissimilarly, Todoroki was ablaze with apprehension, questions and mild excitement. He wasn't sure he deserved a soulmate. When his father's harsh training was underway, and as he matured, Todoroki decided to embrace his fate: he would find you, and love you unconditionally.

He refused to be like his father – his wish was solely to cherish you and the future you would have together. Rather than for his bastard father, Todoroki was becoming strong for you, in order to protect and allow you a life of comfort.

Night after night, he glimpsed his wrist, watching the time ebb by.

You were destined to meet in three days.

--

UA was your dream school; under the guidance of Pro Heroes, you could train to develop into a kinder, more compassionate person, helping others and looking out for civilians.

Your parents waved you off, teary-eyed.

Just another fated couple.

Sighing, you let your feet direct you, wandering almost aimlessly through the serene streets, glancing at nothing in particular, until reaching the gates of UA. Students new and old zoomed past, eager to arrive early.

Stepping into the doorway, your eyes darted from feature to feature; silently admiring the building's artistry. You ambled along the corridor, dragging yourself towards a door reading '1-A'. This was where you were to be starting your new life as a Hero-in-training.

The classroom was filled with rambunctious teenagers, seemingly all getting along, though it was hard to tell at times.

You found an empty seat at the back of the room, and lay down your bag. For the most part, you ignored attempts to make friends – turning away any and all boys.

There was no point looking at your wrist.

You hadn't cared about that in a long time.

However, Todoroki's impatience overwhelmed him; already in the classroom, he inconspicuously inspected everyone. His soulmate had to be somewhere. Eyeing his timer, he was ecstatic to notice that it only displayed zeros.

Cautiously, he observed the girl next to him, the one who sighed quietly and brushed off anyone who approached her. When his eyes washed over you, Todoroki's breath hitched.

You were gorgeous.

Hope seeped into his being, and he searched for your wrist.

Sensing that you were being stared at, you sheepishly turned your head, simultaneously locking gazes with him. Both of you froze, too awed to speak.

He was incredible.

Gulping, he elected to try his luck.

"H-Hi." He started, awkwardly.

You nodded. "H-Hello."

There was a brief pause, as if Todoroki was racking his brain for the correct way to phrase his question.

"Please can I see your wrist?"

When the words came, he mentally slapped himself. You appeared taken aback, and somewhat reluctant to comply with his request. Although, as you took in his features, you recognised the glimmer of hope in his mismatched eyes.

Rolling up your sleeve slightly, you showed him your timer. To your astonishment, it was all zeros. The feeling of elation in Todoroki was indescribable.

Placing a cold hand on your wrist, he traced the numbers gently. You shivered at his touch, but it wasn't loathsome. Everything you let yourself believe was scrubbed violently from your mind, replaced instead with utter euphoria.

"Shouto Todoroki. Call me Shouto."

"Then...call me (Y/n). (Y/n) Todoroki."

[Word Count: 643]