Hitoshi Shinsou {Quirkless AU}

Based on a Reddit post by lifeisstrangemetoo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Grasping tightly on to your father's hand, you allowed that sedative sense of security to traverse across every nerve in your system, momentarily causing your focus to glitch.

Standing rather cautiously beside the subway line, you felt no unfamiliar, nervous shiver upon glimpsing a fascinatingly abnormal sight.

The creature was of monstrous proportion, with lavender fur peculiarly placed on his head and body. Leathery onyx wings protruded from his back, and his snout bore uncanny resemblance to that of an anteater's.

Locking your awed (e/c) orbs on to his figure, time ticked away comfortably. Your observation must have extended ten minutes, before he finally spoke. His voice was a soft mutter, permitting you to draw the conclusion that it had been intended for him only.

"This human is creeping me out." He paused briefly, appearing to scan your own person.

"It almost seems like it's looking right at me."

Confirming the demon's theory, you responded, "I am looking right at you."

Nearly jumping out of his purple fur, he questioned, "You can see me?"

You nodded. "Yes. Can't everyone?"

The demon shook his head, appearing contemplative.

"Not unless they're in the fifth dimension."

"Am I in the fifth dimension?" You enquired.

"Your mind must have slipped over here by mistake. What were you thinking about before you saw me?" The demon held your eyes with a pair of piercing purple ones.

A childish grin shaped your lips, twisting upwards as you replied, "Trains."

"Oh, well trains are the link between our dimensions. I guess your mind must have just wandered over here. Either that or you're going crazy." He clarified, closing his eyes in concentration.

Although your expression mostly remained the same, you responded in a thoughtful tone.

"I hope I'm not going crazy."

"Being crazy is a good thing in the fifth dimension." The demon countered.

A jubilant laugh erupted from your throat.

"Do you have subways in the fifth dimension?" You asked, curiously watching the inanimate wings on his back.

"Of course." He returned. "How else would we get to work?"

Pointing to his back, you cried, "You've got wings!"

"Yes, but who wants to fly? Taking the train is so much faster, and if I fly to work, I'm all sweaty when I get there." He informed, a yawn exiting his mouth.

"So what do you use your wings for?" You posed, genuinely inquisitive.

He sighed. "I put them over my head when it rains."

"Can I see?" Your (e/c) orbs lit up at the prospect.

"Sure."

His enormous wings instantly sprung to life, blowing back your hair as they swooped over his head, eliciting another mystified giggle from your lips.

"You're funny." You complimented, provoking a bout of laughter from your companion.

But, suddenly...his expression changed.

"Are you okay?" You asked. "You seem sad."

"Yes, yes." The demon responded, not looking at you, but staring down something behind you.

"Say, would you like to see a magic trick?" He questioned, face unchanging.

"Okay."

The demon reached up, yanking a large rainbow-coloured handkerchief out of his snout. You swore he must have pulled out twenty feet before it ended.

"That's funny." You laughed, quickly stopping once you realised that you were no longer holding your father's hand.

Surveying your surroundings, you noticed that the subway station had disappeared, replaced instead by flowing green meadows, full of old trains.

"I can't see the subway station anymore." You stated.

"That's okay." The demon reassured. "Sometimes it's better to see what isn't there instead of what is."

"What do you mean?" You questioned, conspicuously perplexed by his ambiguity.

"Sometimes when I'm bored or sad, my mind slips off into the third dimension, and I see people like you." He explained.

Laughing, you replied, "That's funny. Can you go to other dimensions too?"

However, the demon didn't acknowledge your words. His eyes were focused intently upon the sky.

"It's starting to rain." He stated, whooshing his wings back over his head.

Warm droplets of water hit your face.

"Can I get under your wings with you?"

He shook his head as he responded, "Not now. You've got to go home."

Beginning to shimmer, your world flowed together much like the various shades of green and golden paint. It spun around in circles, faster and faster. Starting to feel a little queasy, you allowed your eyes to flutter shut. The world ceased spiralling, but warm splashes of water continued falling on your face.

Opening your eyes leisurely, they glimpsed your mother crying over you.

"Where's dad?" You asked her. "Did he bring me home?"

Nodding, she replied, "Yes darling." Although, she didn't look at you as the words left her mouth.

"He brought you home and then he had to go away."

"Oh." You glanced towards the ground. "When will he be back?"

"I don't know."

[Word Count: 806]