Katsuki Bakugou {Hanahaki AU} - Happy Ending

Requested by: Ochako-Uraraka

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It had been a little while since your last encounter with the dire disease, but you couldn't recall ever having it. That was exactly how it was meant to be - your parents even went so far as to search your phone and all social media accounts for pictures of the boy, and delete them all. Obviously, it would have been ridiculous to assume they could completely shield you from him; you did go to the same school, after all. They did everything possible though, so it became increasingly tedious whenever it would appear again, and they would look through your phone, see the images you had taken in secret, and be forced to remove them.

You were currently sifting through everything on your laptop - you didn't actually use it that much, and you were curious as to just what was on there. You pulled up file after file of awful writing: poems and romance pieces you had apparently written on bad days. You laughed when you read them, wondering just how awkward your younger self had been. There were never any names attached to the stories, drabbles and sonnets, so you couldn't attribute them to anyone specific, but there were clues which seemed to pass you by. For some reason, you found a poem dedicated entirely to the concept of explosions and fireworks - the dazzling reds and oranges, illuminating the sky with intricate designs. They were a clever construct, and you enjoyed the piece, even if it was incredibly cringy. Still, you failed to realise the inspiration, despite it being so prevalent - you must not have been thinking straight, because anyone else would have been able to tell instantly. You just pinned it on being young and impressionable; fireworks and explosions were fascinating things.

Then, you came across a few diary entries.

"These should have been written down, not typed up." You muttered, annoyed but intrigued - if they were on your laptop, which was password-protected, and in this specific folder, which was tucked away, somewhere difficult to find, then clearly, former you had something to hide, and you wanted to know what it was.

Day 8

I resisted this time. I'm now 15, and I can make decisions for myself! I don't know how many times they made me have that surgery, but mother said: "Why does this keep happening? She shouldn't be as infatuated with that boy now as she was before." I don't really understand, but I can tell that I've had this disease already, and apparently, he was the root of the problem last time, as well. It's annoying, and it hurts beyond belief, but I don't want to lose my memories of him. I know he can be an asshole, but I feel something - something special, and I don't want to lose that feeling. I really love him, and I don't want to stop, even if he doesn't love me back. I've had it for just over a week now, and my parents are trying to pressure me into getting the surgery again.

I really don't want to, but they're telling me I'll die without it.

You opened another one:

Day 15

This is getting so much worse. I'm coughing up blood and petals ever other second - I've been taken out of school temporarily, and all because of this stupid Hanahaki disease. It's driving me insane! I don't want to forget ever loving Katsuki! It sounds really stubborn, and it is, but I'm honestly happy watching him from a distance. We still talk sometimes, but it seems like he's not suffering, so he clearly doesn't have the same issue. Maybe he has someone, and is just refusing to tell us? I'll probably never know; he doesn't like to talk about his feelings.

Not with me, anyway. If he did, then maybe I wouldn't have this disease?

You paused, scanning over the pieces with wide, frantic orbs. You never noticed that this had ever been a problem for you. It was also likely the reason for that familiar, gentle caress of wings against the inside of your stomach, when you looked at the explosion king. It hadn't progressed into Hanahaki yet, because you only managed fleeting glances, and your current workload didn't leave time for such emotions. There was always a thought in the back of your mind that you fought to contain, and you often chalked it up to something stupid and unrealistic, like reincarnation or something. You felt the need for some kind of excuse, however irrational, but you could never imagine why. However, now the barrier had shattered, and nothing was stopping your train of thought: Had you loved Katsuki before?

This finding was concrete confirmation. You stared at the screen for a while, shock and disbelief etched on to your features. You finally had a sound reason for why you felt the way you did. You probably should have been happy about that, but instead, you were debating the meaning of life, mulling over why your parents had never told you, and wondering if that meant they were lying to you about anything else.

You swallowed the lump forming in your throat, closed the laptop lid, and sat back in your bed. What now? Were you going to wait until the morning, and surprise the boy? Did you even want to wait that long? Although you didn't have the disease now, which was apparently unusual, you still felt something - a spark, perhaps, of love, or at least admiration. This time, if you just confessed (which, to be honest, you should have already attempted), maybe things would be different. Maybe you could prevent a future outbreak? The way things were going, and the way history was seeming to repeat itself, it was really only a matter of time before you were choking on flower petals and blood again.

Tentatively, you took a step out of bed. You were mindful of the time - it was 22:30 - but you had to do something about this. If the blonde was as adamant about breaking curfew as he was about breaking the school rules, then he would still be up, possibly in the shared common area. Hopefully, you would be able to catch him alone.

You reached it (after some fumbling in the dark), and flicked on the light switch.

"Who the fuck?!" An angry voice sounded.

You sighed in relief. "It's just me."

He turned around. "Why the hell are you still up? Isn't it past your bed time or somethin'?"

"I needed to talk to you."

He snorted. "And you knew I'd be here. You stalkin' me, brat?"

"Of course not. I was just wanted to tell you something." You responded, walking up to him.

He made an attempt to stop you, which you found incredibly odd. He usually didn't mind your company as much as he made out to. However, when you got closer, you realised why - there were brilliant petals, of all colours, lying on the floor beneath his feet. It looked like someone had just trashed a florist. Your mouth hung open.

"What? You gonna say somethin', runt?"

"...Who...?"

He clicked his tongue. "I wasn't gonna tell ya. I was just gonna get the surgery again."

You blinked. "...Me? You like me?"

"Isn't that obvious?!" He yelled.

You shook your head. "No, but...I like you too."

[Word Count: 1224]