Shouto Todoroki

Requested by: Levis-Whattpad

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dengue hemorrhagic fever: A mosquito-borne disease, which is another stage of Dengue fever. It is severe, and sometimes fatal. Signs include: abdominal pain, persistent vomiting, marked change in temperature, hemorrhagic manifestations or change in mental status (irritability, confusion or obtundation).

This was what you had been complaining about for weeks – it went from a mild fever to a painful sickness, so you called into see a specialist, and they immediately admitted you to the hospital, where you remained for many more weeks. During that time, your symptoms became increasingly worse, and you often failed to recognise your surroundings, or the individuals who tended to you. However, you did retain the information you had been given only a few days ago: you would die from this disease. They had no proper way of treating it, and they certainly weren't able to cure it.

The news didn't come as a shock, because you had lived through hell to get where you were now, but it did feel slightly disappointing. Although, you supposed that you had lived a good, full life, and you were happy with the outcome. As you resigned to your dismal fate, you could think of only one regret: never falling in love. You believed wholeheartedly in the notion of soulmates, but you hadn't yet met yours. Being young, you had always just assumed that it would happen at the right time, but as you grew frailer, the image of a perfect life with a perfect partner shattered completely.

Until you met him.

He had been admitted a while after you, but placed under the same roof, not so far from your hospital bed. While you were both bedridden, you were still able to strain your neck to glimpse his divine features. It was like someone had finally bestowed an angel upon you, in your time of need. Through short yet meaningful conversations, you learned that his name was Todoroki Shouto, and he was the son of the former number two pro hero. He recounted his childhood in vivid detail, as if illustrating his biggest regrets all at once. You never managed to elicit laughter from his heavenly lips, but on one occasion – just one – you gazed at his resting face, and saw a smile plastered upon it.

You shared personal information like a game of tag, and eventually, your desire for each other manifested. It began as a tiny sapling, but blossomed into a beautiful cherry tree. He confessed his undying love, desperately hoping that you felt the same. You did, and you told him this with tears in your eyes. They cascaded down your face like a free-flowing waterfall, as you knew that your time together was limited.

You could never kiss; you could never be as close as you yearned to be.

However, the hardest part was letting go.

When you learned that he had the same condition, your heart skipped a beat. You were utterly terrified. His symptoms had been discovered later than was advisable, so you knew he had less time. He tried to make the most of it – he continually repeated just how much you meant to him, and he even talked of showing you off to his mother. He wanted to hug you tightly and never let go, but he would lose you faster than he ever imagined.

Your worlds came crashing down in an agonising blaze on the day that he was taken.

His body was rapidly deteriorating, and he was vomiting a lot more frequently. The last thing you remembered was seeing his gorgeous red and white locks, before he was promptly whisked away for treatment. You completely broke down. Hysterical sobbing was all that escaped your lips, so much so that the bed sheets were becoming stained with tears.

The more you cried, the more time seemed to slow down. It felt like an eternity before anyone gave your dishevelled person the slightest hint of acknowledgement. A woman approached you cautiously, watching you bawl your eyes out, until they were bloodshot and your knuckles were whiter than your teeth. She sat down beside you, dabbing your eyes with a tissue. You had heard the words before she spoke them, but that didn't make it hurt any less.

"I'm so sorry, miss. We lost him."

[Word Count: 714]