if things couldn't get worse

2 Weeks Later

I cuddled Pam into my arms on the couch as I sighed. Watching Pam suffer like this for two weeks hurt me so much. Most days she just cuddled up on the couch crying. She didn't deserve to have her twins ripped away from her like this. Not at all.

I ran my hand over her tiny bump as I kissed the top of her head. In a couple minutes her loud sobs died down and she was fast asleep in my arms.

"I love you."

I whispered as I kissed her cheek. I laid there for a bit until I heard a knock at the door. I carefully got up off the couch and opened the door to see a police officer standing on the porch.

"Um may I help you?"

I asked the officer.

"Are you Fergal Devitt?"

The officer asked.

"Yes."

"I regret to inform you that we found the bodies of your son and daughter Ashton and Addison Devitt."

The officer said. My heart shattered.

"What do you mean? They're dead?"

I asked in disbelief.

"I'm so sorry. We have the suspect, Will Archer, in custody and I promise you that he will get the fullest punishment. I'm sorry for your loss."

The officer said before walking off the porch. How am I gonna tell Pam? I walked into the living room to see Pam rubbing her eyes.

"Who was that?"

Pam asked. I took a deep breath as I crouched down in front of her and placed my hands on her knees.

"Pam..Ashton and Addison...they're dead. The cop said they found their body."

I said to her. As soon as I said that, tears began to stream down her face.

"No! Please tell me you're lying. My babies...they can't be dead."

She sobbed as I held her tightly.

"I'm so sorry."

Was all I could say to her. My heart broke for her. I have no idea how Will could do that to his only kids.