Chapter 1

Being a teacher in today's society is none the less terrifying. Whether you're teaching high schoolers, middle schoolers, or 4 year olds-it seems to be a risk no matter the age. World wide headlines almost once a year or more with school shootings are happening and finally, the township I worked in hired their own officer for every school.

I got to my classroom on the day that the officer was first showing up and I sat down at my desk. I was a 3rd grade teacher. It was an easy job and that I couldn't deny. The only hard part about it was the kids who didn't follow the rules, but they were in third grade so they were young. I didn't like to brag but I was the favorite known teacher in the school. Everyone loved me-my coworkers, my bosses, and especially the students. I made them feel welcomed and loved, but at home I had no one. That's why I loved my job. I loved feeling like I belonged and making others feel the same way. I didn't have a husband or boyfriend and my family was constantly working and busy so I didn't see them much even though we all lived in Maryland. I saw my brother and sister more than anything, but I loved being with people no matter what.

As I sat at my desk I put in a few workbook assignments for math I had given the students for classwork and I prepared our lesson for the day, which wasn't much. We were learning some science I had a plant set for each student and they were all planting their own with small seeds. If it worked, which it would, we would be able to talk about photosynthesis and I would be able to give them a better explanation. I was excited to be working on it for the day.

After each student was dropped off by their parents or got to class, I began explaining our class plans and my students all got up and excitedly ran to take their plant kits. They were so happy and a boy that hugged me every day before class ran up to me and hugged me.

"I'm sorry Ms Collins. Mommy take me later than usually." He said and I smiled widely.

"It's okay, Gabe. I'm happy you showed up bud." I said and he smiled before running off to a friend of his. He wasn't popular by all means, and to even say a 3rd grade class had cliques was frightening, but it did.

As I went to go help a group of students my classroom door opened and I stood up straight and looked up to see my boss-the schools principal-and a police officer. The officer was young, around my age. His bicep muscles were bugling out of his shirt and a tattoo that circled around his muscle was peaking through his sleeve. He had dark brown hair that was a little longer and slicked back with green eyes. I almost drooled in front of my entire class when he walked in and didn't realize my boss had introduced him to me.

"Ms. Collins." My boss said and I looked to him.

"Yeah? Sorry I was going to help a student and didn't even realize." I said casually and he shook his head.

"It's okay. This is officer Prescott. He is our new officer. I wanted to introduce him to you and the kids." My boss said and he shook my hand. He had such a firm grip and it made my legs weak.

"It's nice to meet you Ms. Collins." He smiled and I smiled back.

"It's nice to meet you too. Kids-" I paused and got their attention. They all looked up at the three of us in confusion and I smiled.

"This is Officer Prescott. Our new police officer to look over our school. I think we should all give Officer Prescott a hand shake or high five for protecting our school." I said and they all quickly got up and went into a line.

"I haven't had any of the teachers do this yet." He chuckled and I smiled weakly.

"I like to teach the kids respect along with their subjects."

"That's how it should be." He said and he leaned down in front of the first student and she hugged him instead of high giving him. I felt the same way. I would have loved to made out with him instead of handshaking him-I needed to stop. More and more students high fives him and shook his hand, and the girls seemed to hug him more than I thought-but he was okay with it. He seemed so happy. He also asked for each of their names as they came up to him and I thought it was really thoughtful.

When everyone went back with their groups he turned to me again and he smiled.

"Thank you for giving me time to introduce myself. Seriously I'm excited to start this job and I love the kids so it was nice to get some idea of who they are." He said.

"No problem. If you ever need anything, room 213." I smiled and he nodded.

"Thank you." He said and he walked out with my boss. I bit my lip and smoothed my dress out before sitting back down at my desk. There were not a lot of attractive men for the single young teachers in the school, so one being hired was like hanging a bone in front of a bunch of hungry dogs.