Chapter 79

I went to work for the first time and they had a "welcome back" morning breakfast party for me and Trev went and everything-I thought it was sweet, but it was overwhelming and a lot to just walk into after everything.

I felt myself jumping in fear at sounds in the hallway or being scared of the noise before the announcements sounded through the school and I hated it. The hallway and wall that I had gotten shot by gave me chills every time I walked by it and by the end of my first day back I felt exhausted. I genuinely didn't want to do it anymore.

"Trevor." I sighed as I walked into the house after letting Mackenzie run in through the door and he must have had to of just gotten home too because he was taking off his belt when I walked in.

"Yeah?" He smiled and hugged Mackenzie tightly before letting her go to run to cooper. I looked at him for a second and shook my head and he cocked an eyebrow at me.

"What's wrong?" He asked.

"I can't do it." I said softly and I felt tears starting to stream down my cheeks.

"Oh, sweetheart." He said with his eyes softened and he pulled me into him. I started to cry into his chest and I felt so bad for Mackenzie because I didn't want to cry in front of her, but I couldn't hold it in. The entire ride home I just wanted to break down. He held me tightly against his body and I wrapped my arms around the back of his neck before burying my face into his neck.

"Trevor." I cried and he kissed my cheek.

"It's okay. Relax baby." He said.

"I don't want to work there anymore. I can't. I was paranoid all day today and was scared of everything I heard." I cried and he rubbed my back.

"Bailey?" Mackenzie asked and I looked down at her with tears in my eyes and she looked so worried about me.

"Are you okay?" She asked and I nodded. Trev rubbed my side and he cupped my cheek.

"It was your first day back. Just give yourself time to get back into things. I felt the same way each time I was shot. You're always aware of what's going on, but that's a good thing-"

"Trevor, I want to move. I want to get out of this school system and this town. It's supposed to be the nicest spot in Maryland but it's brought nothing but shit. I know we had so many plans for this house, but I can't do it here. I'm sorry." I said and he nodded slowly.

"I just don't want to be too far from my job, babe. It's hard to just get up and leave. We need time to look for a house and everything-"

"Trev I literally was terrified today-"

"I know but I can't leave this job. It's my benefits, the money I'm making is good, and I'll eventually be Chief again. I can't lose it and change stations or everything will go to shit." He said.

"I get it. I really do, but I literally was on the verge of tears today and held it in all day until now because every door that closed or everytime I walked down the halls I would be scared. I can't work constantly scared. I can't break down in tears in front of 3rd graders. We don't have to move far away, but I need to get out of this house and I need to find a new teaching position. Too much has happened here and there." I said and he kissed my forehead.

"Okay. We'll look at houses then." He said.

"Thank you." I said and he nodded.

"Trevvy." Mackenzie said and she tugged on his belt and he looked down at her and smiled before letting go of me and picking her up.

"What's up princess?" He asked and she whispered into his ear and he pursed his lips st me as she whispered.

"That sounds like a good idea." He said with a smile before kissing her cheek and putting her down and she ran into the kitchen.