Chapter 25

Dak...passed. Trevor spent hours with him in the room and he stayed by his side and the vets did everything they possibly could to try and save him, but they couldn't help him enough. It wasn't their faults either. I was sitting in the waiting room a few days after with a few police officers when it happened. The whole force and even the officer who wasn't on duty and was the one who got shot, showed up.

When Trevor walked out his eyes were red and puffy and he was holding paperwork and a baggy of Daks things he had on him at the time.

"I'm sorry, man." An Officer said to him and he gave him a brotherly hug and squeezed his eyes shut. It broke my heart and I had to look away. I don't think I had ever seen Trevor cry other than when he was scared he wasn't going to be able to work again, but he was crying even harder now. His dog was genuinely something he cared about more than anything. The rest of the officers clearly did too. He pulled away and he went to me and held me tightly and I kissed his cheek.

"I'm sorry." I said and he buried his face into my neck. I felt tears against it and I rubbed his back in circles.

"I'm so sorry." I said and he didn't say anything and just continued to hold me.

"I just want to go home." He said.

"Okay." I said and he pulled away from me.

"Thanks to everyone that stayed here and checked in. I really appreciate it so much. I just want to be alone." He said and he rubbed his nose and put his hand on his belt. I learned that day that he did that when he was upset too.

"He was good to all of us and helped us with a lot. You know that, Captain. He was a legend in our area." He said and he smiled weakly and nodded before hugging everyone tightly and they left. He grabbed me after they did and his eyes softened.

"I just want to put him in the back of my car and have one more night with him at least." He said softly and I ran my fingers through his hair.

"He knew how much you loved him." I said and he nodded.

"I know. I just-I want to fucking kill that guy. I hope he gets fucking months in jail. Years. He killed basically one of our officers." He said and I nodded and he looked away from me with his jaw clenched to stop himself from crying.

"I just need to go home. I don't want to be here anymore. I spent hours holding him and I'm going to miss him so much-I just want to go home." He said.

"To your house or mine?" I asked.

"Yours." He said and I nodded.

"That's fine." I said and he grabbed my hand.

"Can you drive?" He asked.

"It's your cop car." I said.

"I know. The entire county knows what just happened. They won't pull over a cop and I won't get in trouble for wanting to just cry." He chuckled weakly and sighed after dragging his hands down his face.

"Okay." I said and he squeezed my hand tightly as he turned to lead us out to the car. I hated seeing him the way he was. He was genuinely so upset and I didn't expect him to be anything less, I just hated when he was.