Chapter 40

It was a little after my dad left and I didn't want to go upstairs. I was too nervous to honestly and I just wanted to be civil with him. Since he's lived with me, things have been perfect. He's like the husband I never had and still don't have that acts like one. He cooks me breakfast and dinner and talks to me throughout the day when he can. He's been so sweet and I knew it would always be sweet with him, but I just wanted it to continue. I especially didn't want to argue over him, so I just stayed downstairs.

I knew that by staying downstairs meant he'd eventually just come down with me and he did. Which I expected. Either way I was going to have to talk to him about it.

"Now you don't want to talk to me about it?" He asked as he walked downstairs and I shook my head.

"No." I said softly and didn't even look at him as I sat on the couch and watched TV.

"Why didn't you ever tell me that?" He asked and sat down next to me.

"Didn't feel the need to-"

"He treated me like shit the entire time I worked there and you didn't feel the need to?" He asked.

"Trevor, it's not that serious. We were together for a short amount of time." I said. I kind of lied. We were together for three years, which wasn't that bad-kind of.

"How long?" He asked and my eyes softened.

"Trevor, it's not that long-"

"How long, Bailey?" He asked.

"Like a year." I lied and he narrowed his eyes at me.

"You're still lying to me." He said.

"No, I'm not." I lied again.

"I'm done being with people that lie to me. Either tell me or I'm done." He said.

"Three." I said.

"Three?" He asked and I nodded slowly. He just looked at me for a second and then he drug his hands down over his scruff and rubbed it.

"You were with him for three years and you didn't tell me?" He asked.

"The only ex you brought up was your wife and she wasn't even an ex-"

"My exes don't matter because I got married and I'm not working or associating with any of them still. Including Ash now for Christ's sake. You knew how long I was with ash and that entire situation. You never told me that he was your ex. And for you not to tell me anything especially when you dated him for three years? Seriously?" He asked.

"I don't have any feelings for him anymore. He's just my boss." I said.

"He obviously has feelings with you. He was up my ass every time I was around you. He fucking threatened to hire a new officer." He said with his eyes narrowed.

"Because he does have feelings for me but I dont for him so he wants to make everyone else's life a living hell. I'm done talking about this with you. You're getting jealous and there's no need to-"

"I'm not getting jealous I'm getting pissed off." He said.

"Trevor, I love you and I wouldn't go back to him. He's manipulative and he's a fucking asshole, okay? Stop." I said.

"No. I'm not stopping. That genuinely pisses me off that I had to find out from your dad and not you." He said.

"Trevor-"

"Why is he even still contacting your dad?" He asked.

"Please stop." I sighed.

"I'm not stopping. Tell me." He warned.