Chapter 10

When I went into work on Monday, Trevor wasn't there. They had a different older cop there and it threw me off a little. It bothered me though because if he took of and didn't come in just because I told him it was done, it was just a bitch move on him. He was a grown man scared of me when I literally didn't care about him. Out of the awkward situations we had, he called out because I told him no more. It was pathetic.

When I was finished teaching that day, a little girl was still sitting at her desk after the kids left to go home and she looked so upset. She was also the same one that said hi to Trevor everyday and hugged him when she first got to school and before she left. I got up and knelt down in front of her, thinking that maybe she was the one getting bullied and I hadn't noticed, and she started crying as soon as I knelt down next to her.

"What's wrong, sweetheart?" I asked softly and she was sobbing.

"Why hasn't your mommy picked you up? I can walk you to your mommy." I said and she shook her head.

"I'm not leaving until I say goodbye to officer Prescott." She cried and my eyes softened.

"Oh sweetheart-Officer Prescott isn't here today. I can leave him a message. Do you want to write him a letter? I can give it to him maybe today? He sometimes sees me." I said, knowing that he wouldn't have come over, but knowing I could give it to him tomorrow before she came in.

"Can you please?" She asked cutely and she wiped her tears with his lips quivering. I smiled weakly and got up before grabbed crayons and a piece of paper and I put it down in front of her.

"Here you go sweetheart. I can help you with the letter. What do you want to tell him?" I asked.

"To be safe and have a good night. He's my hero and I pray for Officer Prescott every night before bed. Mommy let's me." She said cutely and my eyes softened.

"Okay. Then tell him exactly that and I'll make sure he gets it." I said and she started writing. It made my heart burst. She took her time with it and I helped her spell a few words and she drew a picture of him with a heart when she was done. She signed it with "Love, Mackenzie" and it melted my heart. It was so fucking adorable.

"I think he'll love it. Officer Prescott really loves protecting you guys." I said and she smiled proudly and handed it to me.

"Please make sure he gets it. Please." She said and I nodded.

"I promise." I said and I pinky promised her.

"Come on, I'll walk you to your mommy okay?" I asked and she nodded. I helped her with her bag and she held my hand as we walked down the hall to the parent pick up. I apologized to her mom and explained what happened and she thanked me and made Mackenzie thank me too. She was such a sweetheart and it made me want to get the letter to him even quicker.

* * *

I was laying in bed watching TV and I had the letter on my nightstand. I hadn't touched my phone and didn't really have a reason to, but my phone started ringing and I grabbed it and narrowed my eyes as they adjusted to the bright screen in my dark room. It was a FaceTime call from an unknown number and I declined it. The called immediately right back and I finally just answered it and covered the camera on my end, but it was Trevor.

"Hey." He said.

"How did you get my number? Trevor this is getting out of hand. You don't show up-"

"First of all I'm a cop and I get what I want, and second of all I'm in the hospital. So relax." He said and he showed me a bandage on his side and I narrowed my eyes and sat up in bed more.

"What happened? Are you okay?" I asked.

"I'm fine. I was stabbed. Didn't get the chance to get my gun out first to stop him so he got me pretty good." He said and my eyes softened.

"Oh my god. Trevor-I'm sorry. What happened? I mean other than being stabbed-why? Why did they do it?" I asked.

"A guy was breaking into houses and he went into a house that no one was home. I went inside and I lost him and didn't know where he went. I had my gun out and was going to put it away and just go out to my car and wait for back up but he came around me from the back and stabbed me. I'm lucky he got scared and he left after and didn't do anything else. I grabbed my gun after the fact and tried to shoot at him but he ran. I'm also lucky he dropped the knife so we have fingerprints from the asshole." He mumbled and I ran my fingers through my hair.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know. I'm glad you're okay. Why dont you wait until back up comes? Stop trying to do everything on your own, big shot." I said.

"Yeah I know. I guess he got me pretty good so I was kept overnight and I should be leaving soon. I made a bullshit story and got one of the deputies to get your number to me just by giving them your name and address." He chuckled.

"You could have just asked for it a long time ago-"

"Okay Trevor. You're good to go." A doctor said in the background making me stop and he looked up and back to me.

"I'll text you-"

"Wait I have to show you something-"

"I can stop by on my way home. I can't look right now. I'll see you." He said and before I could say bye he hung up. I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair. I felt like such a selfish bitch for thinking he called out over me telling him nothing was going on. It was so stupid.