Chapter 47

"Ms. Collins?" Mackenzie asked shyly as I was about to go into my car while leaving for work and the woman from her foster home lightly jogged to catch up with her and smiled weakly.

"Hey, yes sweetheart?" I asked.

"I made you and Officer prescott this." She said and handed me a picture she drew/ painted. It had me teaching with Trevor standing next tonme and her watching. It melted my heart in a way and I honestly wanted to cry.

"Thank you so much, sweetheart. I'm going to show officer prescott and put it up on our fridge, okay? I know he's going to love it. It's wonderful sweetheart." I said and she hugged me.

"Where's Officer prescott?" She asked.

"He's home. He just texted me a little while ago that he was home actually." I said and she nodded.

"Okay." She said and I stopped for a second and grabbed my phone before kneeling down in front of her.

"Do you want to talk to him?" I asked and she smiled and nodded. I chuckled and FaceTimed him and it rang a few times before he picked up.

"Hey." He said.

"Say hi to Mackenzie!" I said and handed her my phone and and she giggled.

"Hey princess! How are you?" He asked.

"Good." She said shyly.

"Yeah? Wanna see cooper?" He asked and she nodded. He turned the camera to him sleeping on the couch and she smiled.

"Aww." She said.

"What are you doing?" He asked.

"I gave Ms Collins a drawing." She said.

"Ohh, you're a really good artist. I can't wait to see it. Don't show me yet I want to be surprised when Ms Collins gets home." He said and I smiled.

"Okay." She said.

"Okay. Well I'll visit again soon, okay?" He asked and she nodded.

"See ya, sweetheart." He said.

"Bye, Officer Prescott." She said and I took the phone.

"I'll see you when I get home." I said.

"Okay. See you, be careful." He said and I hung up.

"Mackenzie, we have to go." Her foster care woman said and she looked up at her like she didn't want to.

"Mackenzie." She warned.

"But I don't wanna go." She said sadly and it broke my heart.

"Come." She warned and grabbed her hand and she looked at me.

"I want to talk to you." She said and I cocked an eyebrow when she put Mackenzie in her car and walked back to me.

"Is something wrong?" I asked.

"No-I just noticed that you and your husband are really close and Mackenzie really enjoys seeing you-" she paused and trailed off. Here we go.. and husband? Did she not pick up that my last name was Collins and his was Prescott?

"You know she's currently in a foster home and I truly think that you two would be great parents for her. I know that may be a lot to take on, but think about it. She'll be getting sent to a pair of foster parents in a month or two and they can potentially adopt her if they want to. I know you both care about her a lot and it shows." She said.

"Yeah I just-we're not-he's-were not married-We're just a couple-" I started to stutter and felt like an idiot.

"He brought it up to me. He wants to and I told him I didn't know. I just need time to think about it." I said and she nodded slowly.

"You two would be great parents for her, married or not. Of course there would be some things involving making sure your home is a suitable place for her to live, but you both have great jobs and she's comfortable with you two." She said and I nodded.

"I know-I have to talk to him. I don't know if I can take on that responsibility right now." I said.

"Okay. I don't want to pressure you into it I know it's another person you would have to take care of. I just thought I would talk to you because I know how much you both mean to her. She always talks about you both." She smiled and I smiled weakly and nodded.

"She's a great kid. I'll talk to him about it." I said and she smiled.

"Okay, see you tomorrow when I pick her up sweetheart." She said.

"See you." I said nicely and I got in my car and just sat there for a second. Part of me wanted to, but I was scared. I didn't think I was ready to raise a child, and I didn't even have one of my own yet.