Chapter 24

Half the officers on the scene were with the officer that was shot and the other half were in the vet office waiting to see if he was okay and when he would be able to be seen. We didn't hear anything about him and weren't even told the chances of him surviving. The only thing we knew was he was in an emergency surgery to get the bullet removed and to stop the bleeding. Trevor ended up getting his shirt changed and he was holding me. I knew at that point he was exhausted and so was everyone else, but he had so much on his mind and you could see how fustrated and upset he was without even talking.

"Thank you for staying here." He said and I shook my head.

"You don't have to thank me. I know how much you care about him." I said and he tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and smiled weakly.

"I guess your buzz wore off fast, huh?" He asked to lighten the mood and I smiled weakly back and nodded.

"I had to make sure you were okay." I said and he nodded.

"I'd kiss you if I didn't throw up earlier." He said and I chuckled and shook my head before kissing his cheek and he kissed mine softly.

"Officer Prescott?" I heard a nurse ask and everyone in the room looked up at her. Trevor got up without even asking anything and he grabbed my hand.

"Is he okay?" He asked when he got to her.

"He's stable. We have to keep him over a few nights. You can come see him." He said and his eyes softened and nodded.

"Okay." He said softly and he followed her but made me follow him. They brought us into a back room and he was on a table with something over his face and put under but he was breathing.

"We don't know. He bled out a lot and right now can't breathe on his own. We have to keep him and see because we can't just let him go right away, you know?" She asked and he nodded and pet him and leaned down to kiss his head.

"My buddy. He's a fighter-he's a great dog. He's saved so many lives and helped us countless amount of times. You have no idea how much it means to me to make sure he's okay." He said and she smiled weakly and nodded.

"We will give it our all to make sure he's okay." She said and he nodded slowly and he pulled me into him.

"He'll be okay." I said and he nodded slowly.

"I'm praying."