Delaying

After laying against the tree numbly, I begin to feel again. The scratches on my arms from brushing against pointed branches, the pain in my butt where I sat on a stub, the pain of my throat from screaming and crying so long. And the almost-stickiness on my face from tears paths drying.

I sit up, and look around. The sun was setting, and most of the people who used to crowd the clearing were gone, dwindled down to a few people here and there. I sigh and then look down, preparing to climb down. Instead of clear grass and leaves on the ground, I see Ronnie. Laying on his back, looking up at me, asleep.

He must have found me here and fallen asleep waiting for me to come down. I wonder how long he's been down there, waiting.

I wonder what he heard......

I sigh shakily and climb down. Carefully, I move my shaky legs down on the lower branches. It takes a long time because of how sore I am, but I finally make it to the bottom. Careful not to step on him, I lower myself on the ground.

All this running must have gotten to me more than I thought. I collapse next to him, letting out a sigh.

By now the sun is nearly gone, and my eyes are longing to go down as well. I shake him roughly. "Ronnie, Ronnie, wake up" I rasp out, coughing.

I really need to get some shit for that. Water or something.

"Ronnie" I croak louder. He shifts but doesn't wake up. Finally, I get frustrated and I jab him in the abdomen with my elbow. He gasps and sits up. "Finally" I rasp, and try to stand up.

I must have really laid down weirdly on the branch, because not only am I sore, but my left leg kills. If it's hurt again....damnit.

I grab onto a branch and use it to help lift me up.

"What's with you?" He groans, rubbing his eyes.

Everything. "Nothing" I mumble. "Now come on, lets go."

He gets up and watches me stumble along for a moment, staring at me curiously. Then he sighs and gets up, wrapping my arm around his shoulder, letting me put some weight on him.

For a while he lets me limp-walk next to him, and then he grunts and picks me up in his arms.

"You-you don't have to, ok? I can walk, it's fine" I say, struggling in his arms.

He snorts and says "no you can't, you're limping like a baby animal. Something is messed up right now, it's not fine. Just-just calm down! And tell me, what happened to your leg?"

"I-it's not important, it's not a big deal, really" I respond, staring off into the distance, my eyes receding into my memories, reliving them silently.

"That's bullshit. It is" he says, but he drops it. For now.

When we get to the bus, he surprises me by walking into the band bus instead of the staff bus. Seemingly sensing my confusion, he says "I don't feel like putting you in there and then coming back. You can just sleep in my bed"

"Wha-no-no that's alright I-" I start to say.

He interrupts me as he steps into the bus, saying "relax, I'll sleep on the floor or the couch or something."

Huh, he thinks that's why I'm freaked out.

He gets to his bed and sets me down softly, grabbing a pillow. I put my hand on his arm, stopping him. "It-it's fine. I think the bed is big enough for the both of us. It's not a big deal" I whisper, looking down.

He hmms as a response and sits down on the bed. Under his stare I shift uncomfortably. "Not now" I whisper, knowing he wants an explanation. Well he's in for disappointment if he thinks I'm gonna spill it all to him just like that.

"In the morning then" he says, laying down.

"Hmm" I mumble, knowing he'll take it as a yes.

I close my eyes and expect it to be done, but instead I feel the blanket spread on top of me. I open my eyes questioningly, and see Ronnie pulling up the covers over me.

Ronnie motherfucking Radke is tucking me into bed.

He meets my eyes and gives me a half smile, then lays down and turns over. I look at his back for a while, then I feel myself lulled into troubled sleep.