Chapter 25: Captains

As everyone regrouped under the large shaded tree they exchanged their greetings. Kaila's eyes fell immediately to James. However, he caught her but all he did was dart his eyes elsewhere.

"I see Mallix gave you Elie back." Lain smiled seeing the elephant still tightly held in Kaila's hand grabbing the girls attention.

The small girl froze—she hadn't even realized the hundreds of other students all around.

"Hey don't worry about them. Why don't you say goodbye to Elie when the bell rings and she can sit in your backpack until lunch? Until then it's alright for you to hold her. Nobody's looking." Lain encouraged.

Thinking about her proposal Kaila accepted it as she kept Elie in her grasp while the group blocked her from any wandering eyes.

"How was practice babe?" Mallix asked as he leaned closer to them.

"Same as always. Although I did beat my record today so I think that grants us some fun after school." He nodded agreeing to the idea as their lips met.

"Ew..." Kaila blushed when she realized her natural expression came out by mistake causing the couple to burst into laughter.

"No. Not that kind of fun Kaila. We were just planning on going out tonight." Lain came off her high of laughter as she still chuckled at the small girls cute innocence. "We were also hoping you'd be interested in joining us?"

Without even needing to think Kaila nodded wanting nothing more than to be around them. "Where are we going?"

"The park."

"Why the park?"

"Cause there's a hidden spot behind all the old equipment and some trees where you can watch the sun set over the mountains. It's where Lain and I had our first date." He looked over with love in his eyes. "Anyways we go back there every once and a while to have a picnic at sunset."

The way they couple shared a look with one another was indescribable. Kaila could just feel the love they had for one another. Her heart raced especially fast when it dawned on her that it would just be the three of them.

As they finished up their conversation the three of them turned around catching up with the rest of the group. "Why'd you miss practice today?" They cut in just as Alex asked James.

"I was sick all weekend. Dad had me stuck at home doing nothing but sleep." His voice was slightly raspy and his face did seemed a little paler than normal.

"I'm just glad you're feeling better now." Nina grabbed his hand as he pulled her close.

They continued talking about nonsense when Kaila caught James continuously sneaking looks at her, she even noticed when his eyes widened seeing the soft plush in her hands.

But soon enough the bell rang making them all groan. As the group started walking in Lain grabbed Kaila's shoulder. "Let's put Elie in your bag now. Tell her you'll see her later." She held her hand out unzipping Kaila's backpack.

Whispering something into the toys fluffed ears Lain cooed saddening the girl as she took it from her hands and put it into her bag. "You can see her again at lunch." Kaila nodded as Lain grabbed her hand leading them inside behind everyone else.

"Be good. We'll see you soon." She told the small girl letting go of her hand as Kaila stood outside her math class alone. Kaila didn't like being all by herself. She missed them already and it pained her to watch them walk away.

But as the students began to pour into class, Kaila put on a brave face venturing into her first lecture of the day. Lauren and her friends were still gossiping about something in the corner. Kaila could see them looking at her from the corner of her eye.