Chapter 92: Paparazzi

After having a salty ocean pour out of their foreheads, the group showered before meeting up outside the front doors of the school.

Every time they passed someone they notice they would either excitedly wish them luck or look at them with anticipation for the big day in a few weeks.

Not that this would be the first time this occurred though. In the years prior, the group usually lavished in the praise and good wishes, but this year wasn't like any other year. This was their final opportunity to show what they were capable of.

And every time someone spoke of competitions Lain didn't understand why her heart dropped an inch each time. Seeing students all throughout the hallways putting up banners, posters, decorations, and a whole heap of other things was definitely setting a new mood throughout the school.

During hype week everyone forgot about everything else. All the attention was on the two teams. It was their school pride that kept them on the edge of their seats as the days counted down.

Lain squeezed onto Kaila's hand a little firmer than usual as the girls and the kids all made their way out to the boys.

Kaila whined at the sudden pain before Lain gasped releasing her grip. "Sorry." She said kissing the back of her little girls hand.

She forced a smile out. But they never learn.

When you love someone as much as Kaila loved her, she could easily see right through that facade she had going on. Not to mention it helped that they spent nearly everyday together for the past few months.

But seeing how Lain pushed it off, Kaila decided it would be better to handle this situation in private rather than in the open hallway.

From besides her, Faye and Lauren attempted to start a conversation but the entire time Kaila couldn't brush the thought of Lain out of the back of her mind.

At one point Kaila was so lost into her own thoughts that the girls talking to her started to get louder shouting her name. They clapped in her ear and by the time Nina stopped them, Kaila found herself already outside between both Lain and Mallix.

"Everything okay over there?" Alex asked looking down at Kaila as Nina pulled her girls away from her.

She nodded looking down.

Kneeling down to her level Mallix lifted her chin to face him. He looked at her sadly seeing that glee filled twinkle in her eye was duller than normal. "Is something bothering you Kaila?"

"No."

He sighed taking her hand and leading her away to the side of the building for some personal space. While he kept his focus on the clear spot besides the side door, there were kids left and right coming up to the boy looking for a high five as if he were a celebrity.

"Mallix! Is it true that you can knock out Alex in one punch?!" One boy in particular ran up to him looking with awe. It wasn't long before another kid approached slapping his arm rather forcefully.

"Of course he can!"

"Can we see it?!" The two of them turned to Mallix not caring that he was in a rush to get more important matters dealt with. And as rude as it appeared, Mallix continued trudging forwards as he pushed right past them. However, the boys surrounding him didn't stop.

It was always the same thing. "Mallix this!" Or "Mallix that!" He got tired listening to the same thing for so many years it became second nature for him to block them out.

But by the time they got to the side of the building the crowd around them sadly grew. He gently pushed Kaila behind his back before finally going to address the others. And even while he tried to keep his poise, he eyed them all down saying cheerfully out of his teeth. "I'm kinda busy at the moment. Ask me later." He said simply.