Chapter 71: The Act of Kindness

The couple and Kaila remained in her room for another few minutes just admiring their time with one another. The only thing breaking their silence was the loud grumble omitting from Kaila's stomach.

The couple chuckled. "Someone's a hungry girl." Mallix cooed. "I'll go and make you something to eat."

"No." They were surprised to hear Kaila say as she gripped on tightly to his hand before he could leave. "Don't wanna."

"Baby you've got to eat." He told her.

"Not hungry." Her eyes begged him to stay. But then again, her stomach growled even louder than before.

"I think that monster in your tummy has something to say about that." Lain said poking the girls stomach.

But Kaila was persistent as she shook her head.

"Precious, if you don't eat you won't have the energy you need to play with your friends later." Mallix rubbed her back gently.

"Zander?" The small girl looked up at him with a smile.

He nodded smiling back. "Mhm. Zander's waiting for you outside."

"And Faye?" Her smile grew ten times larger as she looked at him with doe eyes.

"Faye's out there too." The couple chuckled seeing Kaila celebrating as she wiggled excitedly in Lain's arms.

"Down!" She squealed trying to climb down but Lain had her in a tight hold.

"Not yet. You can play after you've eaten."

"But mommy." She whined.

"Don't mommy, me little girl. I know a hungry princess when I see one. Now what do you think about nuggets and carrots?" She asked.

"Nuggets only."

"Nuggets and only some carrots." She tried to bargain.

But Kaila whined again shaking her head. "Then I guess your friends will have to wait longer."

Pouting now with the biggest frown she nodded against Lain's chest. "Good girl." She praised.

"I'll get her food started." Mallix kisses both of their cheeks before leaving the room. Lain nodded taking a seat in the rocking chair with Kaila on her lap. The small girl was content to laying her head in the crook of the girls neck. All the while, Lain caught a glimpse Mallix still in the doorway looking at them with eyes of love.

Lain held Kaila tightly in her lap as they rocked calmly.

Finally when Mallix returned with the plate of food and a bottle, he kneeled besides them hand feeding Kaila himself. Giving her only one nugget at a time he was able to sneak in more than some carrots in between.

As she gobbled up her plate fast, he passed the bottle over to Lain for her to feed Kaila. The small girl breathed softly as she suckled down on the cool liquid.

Finally with everything empty she looked at the couple excitedly. "I play now?!"

The couple glanced at one another exchanging a smile before Lain set her down and they nodded. The happy girl joyfully ran out of the room giggling. The second she got out into the living room, all eyes were on her.

Except her eyes were on only one person—Lauren.

"Kaila!" Zander and Faye shouted excitedly beginning to run over to her.

But rather than running back at them, she instantly stopped in her tracks, looking back at the couple behind her. Lain felt sympathetic for her poor girl. She had been gone the same time everything with Lauren began to happen. It seemed unfair to just throw her into the situation without warning. Especially given the two girls past. Kaila whined as she ran back behind Lain's legs holding tightly onto them.