Chapter 68: The Deal

The drive was tense. Alex was behind the wheel as Nina tried to calm herself with the sweet breeze hitting her face from out the window.

The two of them hadn't said a word to each other since they stepped foot into the car. Something about getting closer to Kaila's house suddenly made their confidence weaken as the realization of the situation hit them.

As soon as Alex turned down Kaila's street, the two of them couldn't be more nervous. Alex's hands were shaking on the wheel. He tried with all his might not to let the car swerve.

Finally finding the small girls house the thick air in the car tightened more. They gasped seeing how horrible the house looked from the outside. The last time either of them could recall coming here was when the year first started and they had their first night out all together.

The weeds in the front yard had grown tall and the paved path leading to the door was half covered in dirt and debris.

Seeing their front window open, Alex made sure to park out of sight of it.

Stepping out of the car felt unreal. Their legs felt ten times heavier than normal. It was a struggle to even bring themselves to up to the pathway.

Deciding to sneak towards the window first, Alex and Nina stealthily walked against the front of the house stopping right besides the window.

Sneaking a glance in, they were unable to see anybody.

That was until a small body came rushing out of a back room in nothing but a large shirt picking up all the empty bottles and cans on the floor. She raced to the nearest trash can before returning for more garbage.

The two friends both looked at each other speechless. Tapping on the glass excitedly, Nina caught hold of the girls frantic attention.

"Nina!" Alex scolded. "What're you doing?! You're blowing our cover!"

But the girl paid him no attention. Instead she proceeded to wave at the girl. Seeing her drop all the contents in her arms, Kailas eyes lit up as she pointed towards the front door.

"Let's go!" Nina took of in the direction of the door as Alex groaned chasing after her.

"What if someone else is inside?" He questioned while they waited at the closed door.

"I don't see any other cars here, do you?" Nina pointed out as she felt lighter than ever waiting for the door to open. Alex sighed as she was right.

Waiting for a brief second, the front door was quickly swung wide open and a steak of light zoomed out of the house crashing into their embrace.

The two of them were stunned to see exactly how small Kaila was. They knew Mallix and Lain had warned them beforehand but they didn't know it was this extreme.

Feeling her small fragile body trying to push itself even closer to them, they nearly fell back.

"Hey, it's good to see you too Kay." Nina smiled kissing the top of the girls head. She scrunched her nose at the smell of alcohol lingering on her being.

"Do you have a minute?" Alex asked not wanting to waste any time.

Kaila timidly nodded. "Yeah. Let's go in and talk. I don't want anybody seeing us out here." She grabbed hold of their hands practically pulling them in behind her.

Finally getting a view of the inside, Nina and Alex were shocked to find what conditions she was living in.

The entire house reeked of alcohol with the matching bottles scattered around the floor. The floor had broken shards of glass just waiting to be stepped on. And the furniture smelt as if someone had thrown it into the ocean before recovering it and tossed it into a dumpster.