Chapter 40: Evolved

The weekend had flown by quickly much to the groups dismay. Separating into their cars everyone was on their way to school.

Faye and Kaila hadn't spent a moment apart all weekend long. They were glued to each other's side the entire weekend playing games, watching movies, and talking about random nonsense.

By the time they all arrived at school the boys and Nina had gone to pick up James already.

Stepping out they all looked extremely tired. "We'll see you guys after practice." Mallix yawned as he grabbed his bag from out of the car and helped Kaila put hers on.

Nina and Lain nodded getting a head start on their way to swim practice.

"Alright girls let's get going." Mallix announced as he caught sight of both Kaila and Faye trailing behind him.

To Kaila's enjoyment, Faye didn't have a problem showing up to school an hour early with them.

Catching up with Alex, Zander, and James the four boys started up a conversation. Mallix would occasionally check behind him seeing the girls giggling to themselves as they walked to the gym.

As they entered the loud echoing room they all made their way to a dark corner in the bleachers. "Z, I need you to do me a favor and watch after the girls." Alex leaned in telling the boy as he sat down.

Without needing to be told twice he held his head up high nodding, proud to have received such responsibility. "Thanks buddy." Alex ruffled his hand through Zander's hair causing the boy to laugh throwing Alex's hand off his head.

As the girls sat besides Zander, Mallix set his bag next to them. "Alright before I go, Faye there some ground rules for when you guys sit here."

She nodded looking at him intently. "None of you are allowed to wander the gym. It's dangerous. If you need something you can ask Zander or yell for one of us. Kaila should have some things in her bag to keep you guys busy or you can nap. Z usually does."

The boy besides them on the bleachers looked over with a large smile as he nodded.

Faye giggled as Mallix turned his attention now to Kaila. "Behave yourselve and don't be too much trouble for Z. I'll be back as soon as I can." He leaned kissing her forehead before catching up with Alex and James who were waiting for him.

"You guys do what you want. I'm taking that nap now." Zander looked over to them before laying down and shutting his eyes.

In a matter of minutes they could hear subtle noises pouring out of him. They giggled turning to one another chatting up a storm.

"Did you bring her?" Faye looked at Kaila with a smirk as her glance moved between her friend and her backpack.

Kaila chuckled unzipping her bag and pulling Elie out and into her lap. "They didn't even see me put her in."

Like many things, Kaila couldn't help but introduce her new friend to her best friend. But rather than being confused or lost the other girl simply played along.

While they played with Elie for a few minutes suddenly a question dawned upon Kaila. Looking up at Faye she warily asked, "how'd you meet Lauren?"

"It's a long story..." the girl muttered.

"We've got time." She chuckled getting comfortable in her seat.

Faye rolled her eyes with a smile as she got herself comfortable as well. "Back when we were younger Lauren lived next door to me and we just started going to school together one day."

"Was she mean back then too?"

Faye shook her head. "She wasn't always this way. She used to be really fun and joked a lot."