Chapter 26: Mischief

Everything seemed to be going fine. That was until the trio entered home economics and immediately all eyes were on them.

Everyone was staring at Mallix and Kaila's intertwined fingers before looking lost at Lain.

Kaila tried to pry her hand away from his but Mallix didn't budge. "Don't look at them. Look at me." He assured her as they walked over to their seats without an issue.

However, as Kaila went to sit in her edge seat she was quickly pushed over into the middle by Lain. The tall brunette didn't leave any room for a debate as she took Kaila's old seat besides her.

Class started as soon as their teacher walked in, but they couldn't have been more in their own world. Completely blocking out the lesson the couple looked towards a still embarrassed Kaila.

Half of the class was still glancing back at them all too curious to let it go. Some of their eyes were on the verge of falling out of their sockets while others seemed to be knowing. Kaila's face was pink.

To make matters worst Mallix and Lain both grabbed onto her hands and held them reassuringly. That only sparked more questions to onlookers.

"You shouldn't worry about what other people are thinking." Mallix told her quietly while keeping his voice firm.

"But what if they think-"

"Kaila stop there." Lain kept her voice down but it still held power to it. Kaila felt like she was cast under a spell as she sat silently looking up at her. "It doesn't matter what they think."

"Do you like when we hold onto your hands?" Kaila was surprise to hear Lain ask. But that didn't stop her from nodding without hesitation. She had grown to love the new act of affection.

"Then it doesn't matter what they think. You like it. We like it. So there isn't anything wrong with it. The only thing that matters is making sure you're happy." Mallix told her. The smile he had showed her looked identical to the one he shares with Lain.

Every day that passed Kaila felt more at ease with them. They never did anything to hurt her or even meant any harm. In fact they did the exact opposite. The whole group did. Everyone was so welcoming. Kaila finally felt like she had someplace where she belonged.

Class had been going just fine after that. Kaila was able to ignore the persistent stares of those around them. But she knew the couple besides her were also looking back at them as the number of wandering eyes lessened when fear took over.

Just as Lain went to say something across their desk to Mallix the teacher had turned around. "Something you'd like to share with the class Ms. Meridian?" He sounded irritated as he put his hands to his hips.

"No sir." She leaned back keeping her composure.

"Are you sure? Because the three of you back there have been quite chatty all class long. And I'm sure whatever you're talking about must be quite important for you not to pay attention to the lesson." He raised his eyebrow not backing down.

Kaila could see under the desk Lain's fingers were curling into her palm as her knuckles turned white. She could feel the heat radiating off her.

As Lain was ready to blow Mallix was quick to stand up."It was my fault sir. Not Lain's. I was telling them about something personal. Life gets rough sometimes." He smirked as his voice deepened and his eyes darkened.

"You should know all about that kind of stuff sir..." He spoke from between his teeth as he sat back down looking towards an empty wall where loving family pictures once resided before being angrily torn down only a year prior.