Chapter 76: Try

More sweaty than usual, Mallix finally finished practice. Walking out of the washroom he had James by his side. Together they talked until they reached the bleachers. From a distance Mallix chuckled as he saw Kaila slumped over against a wall fast asleep. Clearly the exciting morning wasn't enough to wake her up yet.

Seeing as they finished practice a few minutes early, Mallix sat down besides Kaila pulling her body onto his lap. The empty space around them provided enough comfort. James sat besides his brother looking shyly at the girl now residing in his lap.

"Enough of your worrying already. She doesn't bite." Mallix commented seeing James's eyes still lingering at the small girl.

"It's not that." He said blushing as he rubbed the back of his neck. "It's Nina."

Seeing as Kaila began to stir awake, Mallix gently rubbed her back sending her back into her blissful slumber. "What's going on?"

Breathing out heavily, James looked between his brother and the ground. "Nina...she...well things are a little different now."

"Different? Different how?"

"You'll just see later. We're suppose to be meeting back up with them soon anyways."

Seeing how James's face didn't ease up Mallix checked the time. 'We've got five more minutes before Lain's done with practice.' Cradling Kaila in his arms he rocked the girl as the gym completely emptied of the other boys.

"James, what's going on?" He noticed his brothers eyes drift to Kaila again.

"N, she...well she just... she's wanted to have a little family of her own. Like you. And...and well now she's got it and I'm...I'm just w-worried I won't do well."

Seeing how genuine and concerned his brother was Mallix didn't know how to respond. James was never one to open up about his feelings and yet here he was.

Trying to muster up some sappy prep talk in his head, Mallix just couldn't do it. Nothing he could thought to say seemed right. So instead of thinking about it too much, he took a deep breathe while looking down at Kaila.

"You've been pretty worried about this for a while now James. Although I'm sure you don't have to be."

"But how do you know M? All the kids love you. I can barely get Faye to talk to me sometimes, and things are still awkward between Laur and I."

"Well then spend some time with them."

"I've tried that and nothing's worked."

"What have you done?"

"Well I've watched over them while Nina runs errands...and...and...yeah that's it."

"First off James that isn't spending time with them-"

"How so? I'm with them aren't I?"

Shaking his head Mallix wanted to facepalm himself for how oblivious his brother was. "When I said spend time with them I meant spend quality time with them. You know. Do something they like."

"Like what?"

"Well we both know Faye absolutely loves the small play set we have in our yard."

"So..."

"So take her to the park. Maybe have a little picnic with her too."

"And Lauren?"

Mallix paused for a moment trying to think of something. "Sorry twerp. I don't think I can come up with something for her." Mallix rocked his arms as Kaila continued squirming in her sleep. "What does Nina normal do with her?"