2

Chapter 1 Adventure Start
Section 2 A Small Encounter
“All right, we’re going out to buy the supplies we need. You two stay here and make sure to properly prepare for the trip.”

Toslin left those words before leaving together with Rose. Carol and I were left behind in our room, and we both got started on packing together. With that being said, I don’t have much in terms of baggage. As long as I have a change of clothes for the trip, that’s good enough for me.

“Hey, Carol. Is there anything else I should bring with?”

When I asked, Carol sat down in front of the fire.

“Nn~ Not really? As long as you bring a change of clothes and your equipment, Toslin and Rose will prepare everything else.”

I’m just the ordinary daughter of a bookshop owner, so even if we’re talking about equipment, all I have is a short sword my parents gave me for self-defense and and some old, beat-up leather armor. I have a dagger as well, but because I don’t know how to use it that well, I feel like I’d only be increasing my baggage by bringing it.

“You really do love that.”

The words just kind of spilled out of my mouth when I saw the comb currently in Carol’s hand. It’s rare to find a tortoiseshell comb in a mountainous region like this, and Carol would sometimes pull hers out and carefully polish it with a clean cloth.

“Yep. Actually, this is a gift I got from Toslin. You, your hair’s always getting frizzy, so make sure to comb it every day.”

Carol giggled while playfully imitating the way Toslin talks.

“Toslin is always strict with appearances though. Is it because she’s an elf?”

“Toslin is strict on everything. She’s always scolding me for something.”

In an act of self-awareness, a bitter smile floated across Carol’s face.

“And yet, the two of you get along so well.”

“Eh~, you think?”

“I do. It’s like you’re sisters.”

As I said so, Carol’s head tilted to the side.

“Hmm. I wonder. I’ve never had any sisters, so I don’t know.”

“I have a younger sister, so I can kind of understand why Toslin is always being so mindful. Carol is like a younger sister……….Oh yeah, I could comb your hair for you if you’d like.”

“Eh, really? Yes yes, do it do it. I love having my hair combed.”

Every time I ran the comb through her hair, Carol’s ears would twitch and her tail would shake. She probably doesn’t even realize she’s doing it, but the gesture is so cute it makes me want to hug her from behind. But there’s something else I can’t help but to have on my mind while I think about how cute she is. Until now, this small body has been through more hardship than I can imagine.

“Hey Iris, are you going to be working in a bookstore for now on.”

Carol randomly murmured her question while staring at the fire in the stove.

“Yes, perhaps I will.”

“Perhaps…….. So you’re not very sure yourself.”

“It is what the Goddess bestowed after all.”

I made a weak smile as I watched the orange flames sway and shake as well. A vast majority of people get baptized in the church when they turn ten years old. At that time the Goddess reveals to you your occupation. This is the future for the majority of people, but there are those who choose not to follow it. There are some people who aren’t baptized to begin with. Such people are left to discover their own path.