150

Chapter 14
Section 14: With the Dendrobiums Watching
[Carol]: “Oh man~, that was amazing.”

Carol was the first of us to say anything inside the carriage on our way back to the castle.

[Toslin]: “Why are you laughing? It’s a duel? Iris is wrapped up in a duel you know?”

Toslin naturally rebuked her while chopping her head before turning towards me.

[Toslin]: “That Montifi girl used some powerful magic. Is there any chance of you winning this?”

[Iris]: “There is.”

I sat back in my plush seat, flipping through my book and nodded my head.

[Carol]: “Oh, you actually look really smart when you are reading a book with glasses on…….”

I couldn’t help but to smile wryly after Carol’s slightly rude comment.

[Iris]: “I’ll have you know I have good grades in school. Outside of practical training.”

[Saluena]: “In a duel, the results of that practical training are what matters. Is there a reason you seem so confident in this?”

Saluena unwrapped a cookie and shoved it inside my mouth. Saluena, how many cookies did you end up making……?”

[Iris]: “Hyamwamonosha……..”

[Rose]: “Onee-sama, Iris cannot answer you if her mouth is blocked up with cookies.”

[Saluena]: “Oh, you’re right. I’m sorry.”

Rose-san pulled out a thermos and poured out a cup of tea for me as I tried to hurriedly chew through the cookie. The sun had begun to set, and a chill grew in the air. The steam rising up from the cup coiled around my face and pleasantly warmed my cheeks.

[Iris]: “Nothing in particular.”

[Lapris]: “Wait what? Nothing?”

Lapris stopped nibbling her own cookie on top of Saluena’s lap and gave me a shocked look.

[Carol]: “Is that okay? You do know you aren’t going to be able to see Rose anymore if you lose right? I mean, normally that’d mean the party would be dissolved…….”

[Lapris]: “Eh, that can’t happen. I want to stay with everyone…….”

[Saluena]: “Iris’s magic is powerful, but it takes a long time to activate. Due to the nature of a duel, she won’t be allowed to bring in Unicorn from the beginning. So she will have to endure her opponent’s spells until she can activate her grimoire…….”

[Toslin]: “Then couldn’t Saluena fight for her? You’re allowed to have a representative fight for you in a duel. Or is it different in this country?”

[Rose]: “It is allowed, but you must declare you are doing so when you propose the duel. It will be difficult to hire a representative after the duel has already been accepted.”

After Rose-san shot down Toslin’s idea, everyone’s gazes once again turned towards me.

[Carol]: “Then what are you planning? Are you going to fight with a sword?”

[Iris]: “No, there’s no way I could do that.”

I have been carrying a short sword for self-defense all this time, but I’d sooner be able to pluck a cloud out of the air with my bare hands than to beat a witch with it.

I closed my book and turned my palm towards Carol who was sitting directly across from me.

[Iris]: “I might not be able to use any magic from a spellbook……but all that means is that I will have to try something else.”