53

Chapter 7
Section 4: Attention
During the morning, the Warrior/Carpenter Guilds building is much busier than it is at night.

Looking around after walking through the front door, there are a number of people gathered around the tables, discussing the maps spread out in front of them, comparing the requests they’ve accepted, and discussing what jobs they should take alongside their fellow party members.

“U-Um, hello……..”

When I couldn’t find any of the people I was looking for, I headed to the reception desk in the back of the building.

“Hello and welcome. This is actually the counter for the Warrior Guild, okay?”

The receptionist pointed towards a sign hanging over her head.

“Y-Yes. Um, an adventurer party left on a job yesterday, and I actually promised to meet them here today……”

“Meet with them…….? Hmm, then is it okay if I ask for the adventurer’s name and rank? I can check to see if they’ve come back yet.”

“Yes. Toslin, orange rank. She’s an elf swordswoman with blond hair……. Oh, they might’ve actually registered under the priestess warrior Rosalith. They took a job from the church.”

“A-An orange rank? P-Please wait a moment.”

The receptionist had been giving me a mysterious look like I was some out-of-place countryside girl, but the second I mentioned I was here to see some orange rank adventurers, her eyes shot open.

“I took a look through my files, and it seems like they haven’t returned yet.”

“Oh, is that right…… Then, I’m sorry, but if it’s okay with you, do you mind if I sit in the corner and wait a while?”

I pointed towards Saluena who had already taken a seat in one corner of the building, but the receptionist jumped to her feet and stopped me.

“No, it would get cold back there, so please take a seat closer to the middle of the building. I shall immediately prepare you some chairs.”

The receptionist rattled off her response before jumping into the back of the building. She was back in the blink of the eye with a couple chairs which she set near the stove.

“Please wait here. Would you like me to prepare you something to drink?”

“N-No no!! We’re fine”

I already feel bad enough just having her prepare me a seat. I beckoned over Saluena before taking a moment to warm myself by the stove as curious gazes bore themselves into me from all around.

“Huuuh!? Iris-jan. What are you doing here?”

Suddenly somebody called out my name while beating their hand against my shoulder. Flustered, I hurriedly turned around only to find Mycena standing there.

“Uwa, you scared me. Don’t just go hitting me out of nowhere. I’m waiting for somebody, what are you doing here Mycena?”

“Me? I’m here to talk to the Carpenter Guild about some work. Not to brag, but I am a full-fledged carpenter now.”

“Oh, that’s right. You did say you were allowed to start taking on your own jobs now.”

“Hahah! Amazing right!? I can make just about anything as I am now, from birdhouses to dog houses.”

“That sure is a limited range for being able to make just about anything.”

“Oh, good morning to you too Saluena-san!! Thank you for all your hard work in protecting Iris today as well!!”