18

Chapter 3
Section 5: Provocation
“It’s dangerous there Quinn! Jump to another roof!”

The building Quinn-san was standing on happened to be the one the dragon’s tail mowed down. Quinn-san was just barely able to jump to the neighboring roof in time, thankfully meaning that nobody had gotten hurt.

“No good, it’s not working Iris!”

Ryland-san’s screams came down like rainfall.

“That…….k-keep throwing them anyway! More! Block the dragon’s vision with the spores!”

I screamed back up to her, while amazed at just how tough this dragon was.

“Wai- you! Didn’t we just say it isn’t working!? So try saying something proper! Otherwise I’m going to send you flying!”

Lapris’s shouting reached me all the way down here while she clung to Quinn-san’s neck. She’s capable of flying off and escaping whenever she wants, but I guess somehow, that fairy must have a good relationship with him.

“But this is the only way…….why won’t it fall asleep?”

The dragon continued to move its giant body, destroying houses without a care in the world. And yet each time fresh blood squirted from one of its many wounds, it raised a pained howl into the air.

“Perhaps, it’s rampaging because it’s hurt. Right now that dragon is probably so focused on the pain that he’s not minding the spores.”

“Grah! Then why is he rampaging here!? Quit bothering us you, and go die somewhere else!”

As the dragon continued to rampage, the cloud of mushroom spores hanging in the air began to mix with the dust kicked up from all the destroyed homes.

“This is bad Iris! We’re about to run out of mushrooms!”

“What are we going to do people!? These guys are all fighting instead of running away because you had an idea!”

“Shut up you noisy bug! Nothing’s stopping you from running away now! We’ll buy you the time you need to get away!”

“The orc woman should keep quiet! I’m talking to Iris!”

“Yaaaaah! Get down here! We’ll use you as bait again!”

Shaking her sword upwards, Toslin started shouting at Lapris on the roof. However for a brief moment, the dragon’s single eye focused on us on the ground, and a low growl formed in the back of its throat. Spores swimming through the air were pushed aside by the big, huge breaths from the dragon’s nostrils. What remained of the huge pile of hemp bags could be counted up using two hands at this point.

“If it doesn’t want to sleep, maybe it’ll suffocate instead. Those thick spores are clogging up its nose, and it looks like he’s having a hard time breathing.”

Carol’s fed up mutterings reached my ears. The spores floating in the air were so thick it looked like the dragon had been painted yellow. I’m really not exaggerating, the dragon’s entire figure was getting hazy through the fog of spores hanging in the air.

“Iris, that good enough. Thank you for coming to try and help us.”

“We will be fine. Now please run away with everyone.”

“But, but then……..everyone……..”

I quickly wiped away the tears that started to build up again.

“Don’t worry, we’ll escape too.”

That’s a lie. How can you escape from a dragon when your bodies are already so worn out? I shook my head.