122

Chapter 12
Section 14: Wrapped in Kindness 4
Side by side with Rose-san, we walked along the canal that cut through the royal capital.

Even if I call it a canal, it’s not nearly as thin as the one that flowed through my hometown. This one is wide enough to allow multiple ships carrying cargo to sail past each other. The sun had begun to fall, meaning the incessant rain of rays falling from the sky came at an angle, distorting the reflection on the water’s surface.

[Rose]: “Iris-san, do you need a short break?”

Rose-san glanced at me next to her with a slightly worried look.

[Iris]: “N-No, I’m fine.”

I say that, but my feet are starting to hurt.

But, that’s just a testament to all the time we’ve spent together today. I was determined to ignore the pain, but the fact she asked me that at all means my face isn’t doing a very good job of it.

[Rose]: “No need to overdo things. We walked quite a bit today. Let’s take a rest on that next bench, okay?”

Rose-san made a point to look directly into my eyes and smiled.

Her light, peach colored hair shone a bright white beneath the sun’s light. A tuft of that hair slid off her ear, brushing against her cheek and hiding half of her beautiful face.

[Iris]: “Haa……”

Rose-san brought her finger up, hooking her hair back behind her ear.

It was a gesture that completely captured my fascination. An adult atmosphere and charm I lacked capable of drawing me in. I released a hot sigh without even thinking about it.

[Rose]: “Iris-san?”

[Iris]: “Ah, sorry.”

I apologized on reflex and diverted my eyes away from her hair. Of course that meant I was staring directly into her deep, burgundy eyes instead.

[Rose]: “Did something happen? Are you feeling tired after all?”

I turned away my gaze once again. Noticing my eyes swimming in my head, Rose-san tilted her head.

[Iris]: “Ah, no, I was just, thinking how beautiful Rose-san’s hair is…….”

I might make her genuinely worried for me if I keep acting suspicious. So I commented on her fluffy hair.

[Rose]: “Oh, y-…….you were? It is getting a bit long, so I was thinking of having it cut……”

[Iris]: “Eh~? It would be such a waste to cut such beautiful hair. It looks great how it is.”

When I raised my head, my gaze once again locked with Rose-san’s. Ephemeral eyes and long eyelashes that shook ever so slightly.

[Rose]: “……does Iris-san, like long hair?”

Rose-san pulled on my hand a bit as she asked. I sat down on a bench sitting next to the road so that we can talk without getting in the way of any other passersby. Rose-san took a seat right next to me.

The bench had a flower box positioned next to it for the enjoyment of anyone who would want to take a seat such as ourselves. It was filled with beautiful sweet peas in bloom that came in pink, white, and violet colors. They smelled really good too.

[Iris]: “I suppose so. Although it wouldn’t suit me very well, whenever I see someone with long hair, I always think it looks nice.”

Now that I’m mentioning it, Toslin, Carol, Saluena, and Rose-san all have long hair.