80

Chapter 9
Section 8: Temporary Happiness Inside a Nap
Mounting Unicorn once again, I buried my face in her mane as she rushed forward.

“{Powerful shield that cannot be broken}!!”

And then casting my chant as I rode, I summoned forth ten additional magic circles for me to use.

(Just a little more…..and we’ll be able to reach!!)

The effective range of my magic circles is twenty meters. The magic circles I left to protect Rose-san should be dissipating soon, but Golmund is there. He’ll protect his master no matter what comes his way.

“Tear it to pieces!!”

The minute we came in range, I threw out my left hand and shot off several magic circles. Each of them traveled forward, diverting and cutting corners to take their own unique, irregular flight path to prevent the carbuncle from escaping their mission to shred its body in half.

*PaKiiiiiiii*

However, none of them were able to cut into the carbuncle’s tough body. The opposite actually, as each magic circle shattered as if they were made of glass the moment they made contact.

“No matter who you are, you will be unable to wound me. Now that I have regained my full power from the Primordial World, there is nothing fragile beings such as yourselves can do against me.”

“Saluena, get on!! Let’s grab some distance!!”

Saluena grabbed my outstretched hand and jumped onto Unicorn’s back.

“I’m sorry. He’s even stronger than I thought he would be.”

Safely situated behind me, Saluena shook her head to try and disperse the drowsy effect from the carbuncle.

“Y-Yeah…..I forgot about that. His strength three hundred years ago was restrained by the fragment of the Grief Sphere, but now…….there’s nothing holding the carbuncle back…..”

Already I can feel something trying to worm its way into my head. It’s like a deep haze of sleeping gas is being poured directly into my brain.

I grab the pouch wrapped around my neck. The small feather Lapris had given me was peacefully giving off a small glow inside. However, the feather was slowly turning black as its light gradually faded away.

“Don’t hold back, give in. To salvation, to your end. Accept your demise and find true peace.”

The stone on the Carbuncle’s forehead burned even brighter causing thoughts and images to rush through my mind in waves.

“Because all the suffering in the world cannot follow you in death.”

The white leaves of the solretta trees blanketing the ceiling were dyed a vibrant red like the sunset.

“You must be reborn once again. Die and complete your life’s journey.”

“Haa, haa…….something, like that…….then, right now we’re…….imperfect!? You’re saying there are only mistakes and pains at the end of this road we decided to take!?”

After gaining some distance, I turned back around while seated on Unicorn’s back to glare at the carbuncle. I readjusted my remaining magic circles to try and block out the wave of thoughts being forced into my head which were not my own, but it didn’t feel like it was making much of a difference.

“Precisely red-haired girl. This world…..this annoying world that would tie you down with abominable chains, there is no salvation to be had here. You and your associates are nothing but playthings for a tired and lonely goddess.”