149

Chapter 14
Section 13: Conditions
[Iris]: “Lou-chan!!”

[Lou]: “Airi-chan……”

Lou-chan’s breath was haggard, probably because she had almost exhausted her magic power in such a short amount of time.

Trails of sweat trickled down her forehead and flowed down her cheeks.

[Lou]: “Sorry, sorry…..I…..couldn’t win……”

[Iris]: “What are you talking about!? I’m so sorry for all of this. Because of me…….”

I pulled out my handkerchief and began wiping down her face.

[Lou]: “No, Airi-chan is……my friend. If someone tries making fun of you……I, I……can’t stand by……”

Lou-chan’s face twisted in regret. Tears overflowed from the corners of her eyes, mixing together with the sweat already dripping down her chin.

[Grides]: “……you aren’t here to make friends.”

I could feel Grides-san’s glare on my back. I turned around when I heard her footsteps behind me and found her looking down on us both.

Her forehead was wet with sweat as well. Her breathing was rough, and her usually neatly tied hair had become a bit ruffled.

But her eyes were full of fire. I saw it and felt as if I were staring into something divine.

[Grides]: “You are here to strengthen yourself. To learn and increase your power in preparation for your future decades of life as a noble. To come to this sacred school just so you can play with friends; you make me sick.”

Grides-san kept up her demanding stature as she looked down on both of us.

[Grides]: “The weak have no place in this school. Konfiks-san. As promised, you will leave this place…….”

[Iris]: “……hold on.”

But I, spoke up and stopped her from saying whatever she wanted. I glared back at her just as strongly as she was glaring at us.

[Iris]: “Grides-san. I challenge you to a duel.”

[Grides]: “……..what?”

[Lou]: “Airi-chan, you mustn’t!”

I pressed a finger to Lou-chan’s mouth. I know it’ll just be a poor imitation, but I did my best to replicate Saluena’s smile. The one that always lets me know everything will be all right.

[Iris]: “It’ll be okay. I won’t lose.”

[Lou]: “…….Airi-chan……”

[Iris]: “Grides-san. I don’t know what it’s like being a noble. So I can’t say for sure whether what you’re saying is right or wrong.”

I lent Lou-chan my shoulder and helped her to her feet. She kept anxiously giving me looks, but I consciously ignored them.

[Iris]: “But, that doesn’t mean I can just sit back and watch a friend willing to fight for me suffer.”

So I repeated myself. In the open where nearly half the school could see us both.

[Iris]: “Grides Montifi-san. Duel me.”

[Grides]: “……how do you intend to fight me when you cannot use any magic?”

[Iris]: “Don’t worry. I have my own way of fighting.”

Grides-san remained quiet for a moment, giving me a puzzled look. I wondered if she was trying to figure out the reason why I am so confident when she narrowed her eyes.