21

Chapter 4
Section 1: Waking the Little Heroine
When I woke up, the first thing I saw was a ceiling lit by the light of the sun. The world seemed so bright that I had to narrow my eyes.

“H-Huh……I, why…….”

“Good morning Iris-san”

I turned my head when a voice suddenly called out to me. Rose-san was there, the sunlight beaming across her smiling face. Rose-san was sitting in a chair beside me, and it was then I realized I was lying down in a bed.

“Lapris-san told me it was almost time for you to awaken. I believe everyone else will arrive here shortly as well.”

“T-This is…….a, that’s right…….”

“Yes, this is the village inn. You slept for well over an entire day after defeating the dragon.”

“Eh, what? ………Defeated? The dragon?”

“Yes. You did.”

My half-asleep head suddenly woke all the way up.

“Ah, is Rose-san okay!? Your body was…….your body was……”

And at the same time, my anxiety reared its crooked head. Among the torrent of memories that suddenly washed over me were the images of Rose-san coughing up blood and Toslin being blown away by the dragon’s tail. After that, Carol had run up to her and kept shaking her and shaking her, but Toslin………

“Toslin, Toslin! What happened to Rose-san and Toslin!?”

“Now now, you should be more worried about yourself.”

“Huh?”

Rose leaned forward, putting a hand on my back after I jumped up in my bed when I suddenly heard a voice coming from behind me. Turning around, there was Toslin, leaning on the doorframe with a smile on her face.

“Toslin……Toslin……Toslin, Toslin!”

I couldn’t hold still, so I jumped out of bed and ran forward, not minding the fact that my feet were yanking the sheets off with me. Toslin caught me in her arms and held me close.

“Hold on hold on, you’re a nonathletic girl who has been sleeping for a while now, so don’t try doing anything unreasonable.”

“But, I was worried…….and I was so scared. Back then, Toslin looked”

“Yeah I know. Well, honestly I thought I was dead back then too, but I guess my body is stronger than even I thought.”

Toslin made a wry smile. She then started to pat my head as the wave of relief caused me to tear up.

“And now the Toslin orc-blood theory suddenly has some evidence to back it up.”

“Carol…….”

One of the room’s two windows had been left open, and Carol poked her head inside while covered in snow.

“That! By who’s grace are you alive right now? And I told you to stop coming in and out from the window. Appearances, think about appearances.”

“By who’s grace? Iris’s obviously. Without that last spell, all of us along with the whole village would’ve been wiped out.”

Carol walked over to the fireplace, brushing off some of the snow that clung to her as the burning wood crackled next to her.

“Uu……….yeah……..well you’re right but”

Toslin got unusually hesitant. So I hurriedly interjected.