96

Fragment
Section 6: Quiet Conversation About Jewelry Part 1
*Chirp Chirp. Cheep Cheep Cheep Cheep*

I opened my eyes today to the sound of a bird’s song.

There was a small layer of dirt coating the other side of my window from the thawing snow. The fact that migratory birds are already returning to their homes in the solretta trees is evidence enough that spring is rolling in quick…….with that being said,

*Chirp Chirp. Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp Chirp*

Huh? But this song……it sounds like it’s closeby.

“…….eh?”

I stirred from my slumber and forced open my heavy eyelids to find a small, vividly crimson bird lit by the light filtering through my window.

“……..”

The bird was staring at me with its rear end plopped down on my pillow as if it were warming an egg. I stopped for a moment wondering if maybe I wasn’t really awake at all and this was still a dream.

But I could feel a chill in the air, and there was a lingering warmth and aroma from the spot in bed next to me where Saluena would have been. All of this added up together told me that this scene was unmistakably reality.

“……w-why?”

My windows are shut tight. My house does have a bit of a draft because of how old it is, but it doesn’t have any holes in it large enough for a bird to fit through though.

*Chirp Chirp*

Completely oblivious to my confusion, the little bird that looked like it took a quick dip in red paint was happily chirping away.

“Just where did you come from…….”

*Chirp Chirp*

There’s no way I’d get a response even if I ask. The crimson bird simply continued singing with its cute voice.

“We’re heading out.”

“Right, have fun. You too Rose-san. Take care.”

Today is Rose-san and Saluena’s date. Well, even if we’re calling it a date, it’s a date between sisters which means it isn’t any different from the kinds of dates I go on with Sarah……is how I’m choosing to think of it.

For some reason that small bird from this morning has attached itself to me, settling itself on either my shoulder or the top of my head ever since we got out of bed.

At the moment she is sitting on my head, cheerfully chirping away as if to welcome the bright morning sun.

“Y-Yes…….see you later.”

Rose-san’s gaze was affixed to the top of my head for a while.

I understand. You’re curious about the bird right? But sorry. I don’t know either. Honestly, what is up with this child?

I waved my hand while seeing the two of them off, but when I set my hand down……I felt a little muddy.

I was the one who suggested Rose-san and Saluena go out together. I still think it’s a good idea, and I’m glad the both of them are taking my advice.

We will be going to Osnell-Tari in a few days. I heard before that it takes almost two weeks to get to the capitol by carriage. During that time we won’t have anything to do other than sit back and relax.