148

Chapter 14
Section 12: Duel
I pushed the other students who had gathered around the sports grounds aside and forced my way to the front of the pack.

[Iris]: “E-Excuse me!! Please let me through! Pardon me!!”

I could just barely make it out from Litzreich’s room. Two people were standing at the center of the grounds. That was definitely Lou-chan and Grides-san.

[Iris]: “Excuse me! That’s my friend in there!”

These girls had been listening to Lapris’s stories so zealously. Now that somebody was having a duel, they couldn’t help but to rush over so they could watch.

(Aren’t noble ladies meant to have more graceful hobbies than this!?)

My image of what an aristocratic lady is has undergone a tremendous evolution since I first started attending this school.

[Iris]: “L-Lou-chan!!”

After forcing my way through the crowd, I finally managed to see Lou-chan standing at the center of the circle. She was holding a book underneath her arm and was staring at Grides-san who stood about a dozen meters away.

A wind blowing through the field brushed through her hair as she stood straight up.

“Ah, Calvafon-san! You came.”

Turning next to me I found some of the girls from my class standing nearby. They all looked about as worried as I was.

[Iris]: “Haa, Haa……. What……is going on? Why is Lou-chan dueling Grides-san…….?”

“I-I’m not sure. Just as I was about to board my carriage, I heard Konfiks-san start yelling in the courtyard…….”

“It seems like Grides-san insulted Konfiks-san. She is from a baron’s family, and apparently Grides-san was ridiculing her for it.”

“I heard it was Calvafon-san that was insulted, and it made Konfiks-san furious.”

Yeah, I can’t really understand what everyone is saying if you all talk at once. But I could tell that they were all sincerely worried for Lou-chan. Honestly, everyone is so kind.

[Odette]: “From here on, we shall commence with the duel between Lu Voux Konfiks and Grides Montifi. I, Eleonora Academy teacher Odette, will bear witness.”

[Iris]: “Eh…..Sensei? She isn’t going to stop this?”

I thought Odette-sensei would surely come and put an end to this, but she seemed more than happy to stand at the side and officiate their duel.

“Once a duel has begun, nobody, not even the people themselves, have the right to stop it.”

“Once a duel has been declared, if the other party accepts, it cannot end until a conclusion has been reached.”

[Iris]: “Eh…….”

What is that? Is this kind of thing normal in the world of nobles? As the daughter of a bookstore owner, it’s a world I cannot understand.

And yet that world is now spread out before me now. And one of the people involved is my friend. There is no way I can walk away and pretend this has nothing to do with me.

[Odette]: “The reason for the duel is because of disparaging comments Grides Montifi made about Iris Calvafon’s birth. After demanding she retract those statements, Lu Voux Konfiks applied for a duel which Grides Montifi accepted. Does either party wish to refute these circumstances?”

[Lou]: “No”

[Grides]: “It is all as you say.”

So I really was the cause of all this. That timid Lou-chan is now staring down Grides-san. She no longer looks like the small animal I met my first day here.