106

Chapter 11: Royal Academy
Section 7: Battle on the Bridge
“Oi Iris!! Don’t run off by yourself!!”

“That’s right! Did you forget we’re supposed to be guarding you!?”

Toslin and Yuhanna-sama’s voice echoed out from behind. But, I didn’t stop Unicorn.

“Carol!!”

“Litzreich!!”

And then a second later, the both of them started shouting something else.

The landscape running alongside the highway flew past me like the wind. We were already a week away from Soletta, and as such, nearly all the snow had disappeared.

On my right was a vast, grassy plain stretching out as far as the eye can see. On my left was the Anne Libretta, the clear stream flowing through the countryside all the way from St. Noglint.

The both of them race past from just outside my field of vision as I continued to rush straight through, the other Shirayuri knights popping their heads outside their carriages while trying to see what was going on.

“So we just keep following the road like this then?”

And then just as I passed the carriage at the very front of the line, I heard Carol’s voice.

“Carol!?”

“Yes, I’m Carol-san. And that’s a bad Iris. Don’t go running off on your own.”

“S-Sorry, but! Peachseed-san is being attacked!”

“Peach? Oh~, it must be someone you know. Well then it can’t be helped.”

Carol was talking to me while running alongside Unicorn, but with the way she was talking, it sounded like she could easily run even faster if she wanted to.

Each step she took was completely silent, and she wasn’t leaving behind any footprints in the mud either. Carol is still as amazing as ever, but I’m a little relieved that she isn’t angry with me. It’s definitely not good for me to try and do things on my own. We’re a party after all.

“A cute face and an unexpectedly passionate demeanor. Not a bad combination by any means.”

This time, it was Litzreich’s voice that popped out from beside me.

“Aah!? You scared me! Litzreich!? You……what’s going on!?”

She was wearing the same set of magical armor she had brought out at the forest outside of Soletta Ritta. The only difference was that last time she had brought out the arms while this time it was the legs.

“With my masterpiece the Magic Shell, traversing something as mundane as a bad road couldn’t be easier!”

She looked to be telling the truth. I don’t know what the principle behind it is, but Litzreich was gliding through the air with her feet slightly off the ground.

“So this is the kind of stuff a witch can do? I’m so jealous. I wish I could use magic like that too.”

“I would already think of you as relatively otherwordly already. Also, I am only capable of flying like this for a short period of time. So scooch over Iris. I’m hopping on.”

Litzreich jumped, straddling Unicorn’s back as her Magic Shell dissipated in thin air.

“Ah, you……I told you not to get close to Iris!”

“These are special circumstances. It can’t be helped.”

“Tch…….fine. I’ll forgive you this time. But don’t think that means you’re free to do anything weird!”