173

Chapter 16
Section 3: Cannon
*Doganーーーーーーー!!*

A series of cannonballs fell where we had been standing a moment before.

This is my first time getting a taste of an artillery bombardment, but the impact is way too huge. Unicorn’s barriers are protecting us from the debris flying through the air, but they wouldn’t even slow down one of those shells if we were to take a direct hit.

[Ashel]: “M-My apologies. I wasn’t sure if Rinrin-sama would require…….”

[Litzreich]: “I’m a weak little girl too you know……. But well, you made the right call. It would be a serious matter if Iris were to get injured.”

[Lapris]: “Oi Toslin. Someone’s shooting at us aren’t they?”

Lapris popped her head out of Unicorn’s mane along with the gnome sisters. All three of them had evacuated there when things started exploding.

[Toslin]: “Yeah, seems like it. The sound of something being fired. The ground exploding around us. The only thing missing is the smell of gunpowder.”

[Carol]: “We can keep running, but the castle gates are closed. I could try and scale the walls on my own, but what do you think I should do?”

Carol had somehow split off to do some reconnaissance and returned without me even realizing she had gone. With the information she had gathered, she suggested a plan.

Surrounding the chalk white castle was a tall, thick stone wall that rose nearly thirty meters into the air. The two bombardments from before probably came from somewhere up there.

I took a moment to look beyond the castle gates through Phoeniko’s eyes as she flew overhead. From a glance I counted more than ten cannons with smoke billowing out of the tips.

[Toslin]: “You can ask me what to do…….but all I can do back is ask, what the hell are we going to do? I might be from a family of knights, but it’s not like they taught me how to storm a castle. Especially with such a small number of people.”

[Carol]: “But if we’re going to save the gnomes’ sister, we have no choice but to get back there.”

[Toslin]: “Yeah I know. Grr, all this dirt in my hair is making me feel gross.”

The ring of the bombardment never died out of the air. One explosion after another continued to rock the ground, causing a shower of dirt to spray around us immediately afterwards.

The defensive barriers were constantly on the move to block out any of the debris from hitting us.

I had several barriers overlap each other and tried to catch one of the shells once. However just as I expected, the strength of the fired cannonballs was too tremendous and shattered the barriers without slowing down.

[Toslin]: “Fuu……finally. We should be safe for the time being this far out.”

I had to sacrifice almost all of my barriers, but we managed to get far enough away from the castle that we were out of the cannons’ range.

We repositioned ourselves to in front of the castle. We were near the door we would probably have come through if we had made our way here through the ordinary route.

[Rose]: “Ashel-sama, how do we enter the castle?”

Even though she had to run here with such a heavy shield, Rose-san’s breathing was almost undisturbed. Even though I’m practically wheezing after riding Unicorn here.