55

Chapter 7
Section 6: Library
When we arrived at the church, one of the sisters called for Aronda-san. She had a mysterious look on her face the entire time while I repeated everything I had heard inside the guild building.

“So….. Not undead, but ents……”

“Yes. There’s a chance there might be a stronger spirit managing the ents, so they’ll be going back to investigate this evening.”

“I see. If it’s a spirit that can order around a dozen ents, it must be considerably powerful. We are truly fortunate those girls arrived in the city when they did.”

Depending on the individual specimen and the habitat they reside in, ents are at least a level 5 enemy. It’s said that it takes an extreme amount of effort for a newer, less experienced adventurer to handle even one of them. So it’s natural that Aronda-san would think this way upon hearing that a dozen of them were killed in a single night.

“But the real question is, if there is a spirit with that much power, then why is it here?”

Saluena sat down on a bench and patted the seat right next to her. She’s telling me to sit next to her.

“You’re right. We’ve identified a large number of ents, and in all likelihood, that moaning didn’t come from an undead or some animal……. In that case, I would think it natural to assume we have a spirit capable of thought on our hands……but how a spirit like that came to be, I can’t even venture a guess.”

“Um, Aronda-san. I have an idea.”

I timidly raised my hand from next to Saluena.

“What is it?”

“Isn’t there a library inside the church somewhere?”

“Oh my, you’re quite well informed.”

“Thanks. I heard about it from a mage who lives in my neighborhood. That’s why I was wondering if there might be a section on the town’s history in there.”

“You want to research if there were any incidents similar to this that happened in the past?”

“Yes, that’s right. Right now, this is all I can do to help.”

“……gentle maiden. Certainly it was you who said we could turn to the church if ever there was a time we were in need?”

“Y-Yes. I, certainly did.”

“Then, that time has already arrived. If you could please allow Iris access to that library.”

“Oh! Absolutely. If a powerful spirit is involved, this might prove to be a danger to the entire town. I’ll even ask some of the other sisters to lend you their aid.”

“T-Thank you very much Aronda-san.”

I stood back up and gave her a deep bow.

“There’s no need to thank me. You’re the one who is saving me here.”

Aronda-san gave me a wry smile before summoning several other sisters for the sake of helping me with my research.

In its entirety, the church’s library was about ten times bigger than the Calvafon bookstore. And yet, these shelves were also twice as tall as ours, and the books were tightly fitted next to each other, filling every shelf.

“Wow, so many books…….”

For a short moment after stepping into the church’s library, I was in awe over the forest of books stretched out before me.