88

Chapter 10
Section 5: Certificate
“……WOOHOO, the table’s gone bright red!! We dyed the whole table red!!”

“Don’t start suddenly spilling your guts in a place like this. Think about the people watching us.”

Toslin whacked Carol in the back of the head to get her to quiet down.

“But still, it is a grand reward.”

“It really is amazing…..I have not seen this many gems in a long time.”

There are so many red gems scattered around that it almost feels stupid to try and count them up by hand.

“These are……rubies aren’t they?”

I timidly tried confirming things, and Carol gave an exuberant nod.

“Yep. Apparently there aren’t enough coins in the whole entire guild to pay us, so they decided to give us these gems instead.”

Carol grabbed the leather bag and gave it a good shake. There was one last hard clack with one more thing falling onto the table…….a rock? That’s what I had to think because the ruby that fell out was just way too big to be anything else.

“………”

My brain can’t keep up with the development, so I stay quiet. My eyes stay locked on the fist-sized ruby rolling around the table for a while, and eventually, I poke it. It should be obvious, but…..it’s hard.

“……our reward, is this?”

“Hmm. This certainly is a large amount of money, but Iris is right. It’s much too small considering we saved the city. Okay. I’ll go talk to Aronda right now about increasing the reward.”

“NO! Stop Saluena!! I never said that!!”

“…..Iris is just taken aback by how huge our reward is. Honestly, so am I. Where did they even get a rock this huge?”

Toslin picked up the huge ruby, looking the same way I felt.

“For now, let’s just say this big one is shared between the party and divide the smaller ones amongst ourselves.

We continued divvying up the rubies and funneling them into our own respective leather bags, but as time went on, the number of rubies scattered across the table didn’t look like it was going down.

“Um…..is it really okay for me to have these?”

Toslin, Carol, and Rose-san were the ones who accepted the request. But the reward ended up being divided between all five of us without anyone saying anything about it.

“What do you mean? It’s only natural for you to get a cut too right?”

“But, all this……I, it’s just a little…..I just don’t have the confidence to be able to handle this much…….”

I don’t know how much rubies are going for these days, but I’m sure they’re ridiculously expensive. Just hearing the jangling noise of all these gems shaking in my bag as I walk is going to put me on edge.

“Ah, in that case it’s fine for you to leave them with the guild or church. If you leave them with the guild especially, you’ll be able to use your license as a check and withdraw money from any branch you visit. The church has the same system set up doesn’t it?”

“That’s right. Since Iris-san is an adventurer through the church like me, how about we go deposit these together?”

“Ah, s-sure…..I appreciate the help…..”