158

Chapter 15
Section 8: Anytime, Anywhere
[Iris]: “The layout’s changed……is that even possible?”

Abusing my position as the daughter of a bookstore, I have read hundreds of adventure novels. It would be an overstatement to claim I’m the most well-read person in the world on the topic, but I’m proud of the fact that I’ve read more books than most people will read in a lifetime.

Yet not a single one of those stories has ever included a dungeon that was capable of altering itself.

[Carol]: “You wouldn’t think so. I’ve been a part of the Thieves Guild for a while now, but I’ve never heard of even a rumor about something like this happening before.”

Carol would occasionally come to a stop, but whenever she did start walking again, she did so without any hesitation.

[Iris]: “……but this one did? Its structure has changed?”

With her keen hearing, Carol was able to pick up my soft murmurs.

[Carol]: “……yeah, it’s changed. The trap I removed last time we were here has been restored……no, rather than restored, it’s like…….”

Carol once again stopped and crawled down onto the floor. She then closed one of her eyes and carefully examined one part of the floor.

Pulling out a metal rod from the pouch hanging at her waist, she began tapping different points of the floor.

[Carol]: “It almost feels like someone brought in a completely different trap. It’s too blended into the rest of the floor to be a simple restoration. Oh, don’t step right there. The floor will either explode or give out from under you.”

Carol spoke as if it were no big deal before setting down a coin on the floor to act as a landmark.

[Toslin]: “Brought? How could someone bring in a trap?”

[Carol]: “Beats me.”

Carol shrugged her shoulders at Toslin’s question.

She then returned her tools to her pouch before rising to her feet and continuing forward once again.

[Carol]: “But that’s what’s happened, so there’s no point in denying it. An adventurer has to believe what they’re seeing no matter what it is. They can think about the why’s after that.”

That was probably Carol’s personal philosophy as an adventurer. It was her straightforward declaration as she continued forward with the same pace as before.

My mentor had the exact opposite opinion. Grandpa Ferdinand told me it was important to always doubt everything as even what I see for myself could be a trick.

I’m sure both of them are right though.

Carol’s is the correct answer based off of Carol’s experience, and Grandpa’s answer is correct based off of Grandpa’s experience.

Honestly, there could be a bunch of correct answers besides theirs as well. We are a party, so everyone should be able to rely on each other and do what they can.

[Toslin]: “……it’s unusual for you to say something decent.”

After Toslin shrugged her own shoulders and muttered out a compliment under her breath, Carol once again came to a stop.

She then turned around with a wide smile and slightly blushed face.

[Carol]: “Fufu, did you think I was cool right then? Is it love? Have you fallen in love with me all over again? Hm? Hmm??”