44

Chapter 6
Section 8: Instructions
“Well then let’s get back on topic. Seeing as you already knew about me, are we to assume you know about everything else as well?”

Aronda-san nodded at Saluena’s question.

“……yes. There was an oracle a few days ago. The dark elves are trying to revive Osnell. In response, the Pope has ordered us to gather information and stop them. And of course in order to prevent the spread of chaos in the world, we are to keep these activities an absolute secret.”

A secret……that’s right. Osnell was supposed to have been completely defeated. If it became known that he might be returning, the turmoil would be unimaginable.

“The Pope also made another declaration. The Goddess’s apostle Iris Calvafon. She is to be protected with the full power of the church.”

“…….eh?”

I froze. Any thought about how cold it was in here or any recognition of how Carol had started violently tapping against Toslin’s arm was blown from my mind. The church, is going to protect me? This word, protect, I’ve been hearing it an awful lot these last couple of days.

“Give it up my Master. You’re already in this position whether you like it or not.”

“Iris-san, you have been chosen by the Goddess. An apostle to carry us into the next era.”

My head was blank. Apostle. When you say apostle, you mean the Goddess’s apostle. Anyone living in this world can be considered an apostle of the Goddess. Toslin’s an apostle. So is Carol. Even the fairy Lapris who I said farewell to back in Relton is the Goddess’s apostle. But for some reason I feel like Rose-san means something different when she says it.

“Eh……no, I……..”

Part of me……understood what they meant. The situation I’m in right now is clearly not normal. But my brain can’t catch up. For the past sixteen years I haven’t been anything more than the daughter of a bookshop owner.

“But, will her life change any even if she is chosen?”

Carol’s words cut straight through my stagnating thoughts. She was out of breath, having just gotten out of Toslin’s strangle hold.

“Hey you, quit butting your head into anything and everything.”

*Ker-smack*, a nice sound rung out after Toslin karate chopped the top of Carol’s head. But Carol might have taken the blow on purpose as her ears cutely jumped up just as the hand strike fell on her head.

“No no, it’s important. We have to check it. Don’t you think so too? It’s all good if they say they’re just going to protect her, but depending on the church’s policy, Iris might end up being isolated.”

“Isolated, you……choose your words more carefully. But well, I get what you’re trying to say. It’s definitely important. As her friend, depending on your response, there might be some parts I may not be able to accept.”

“And that’s why you shouldn’t hit me!! Apologize, apologize to this cute Carol-san!!”

“Just shut up for a bit.”

“No way!? This is way too unfair mugagumwa!?”

Toslin squeezed Carol’s cheeks with both her hands meaning that once again Carol could only let out a few muffled grumblings. Honestly, no matter the time or place these two are always playing with each other.

But……it makes me just a little happy. They were worried about me and referred to me as their friend.¹

“Please rest assured, Tosrillon-san and Carotayle-san. For now, our church has no intentions of limiting Iris-chan’s freedom.”