112

Chapter 12
Section 4: Lap Pillow
I spent my first night in the capital sleeping in the same room as everyone else.

Getting to talk and play together with everyone before conking out in bed once we’re finally feeling tired. It’s a bliss I became aware of during our time in Rifront and how I always imagined a journey together with everyone would go.

We pushed two king sized beds next to each other so we could all sleep together, but because I ended up sleeping in the middle where the crack between the two beds was, my back hurt just a little when I woke up the next morning.

And so the sun rose on my first morning at the royal capital. After we finished our breakfast, Noelia-san stopped by to bring me, Saluena, and Carol to another room.

There had to have been nearly fifty seamstresses waiting for us on the other side of that door, and they recorded everything from our shoulder width to arm length to bust and hip size and even the size of our feet.

Once our body measurements had been taken, it was time to choose what kind of clothes and what kind of fabric would suit me best.

No, ‘choose’ isn’t quite the right word. I’ve never had any kind of clothes tailored for myself before, so I spent the entire time dumbly nodding my head as the seamstresses opinions and arguments flew in one ear and out the other.

[Iris]: “……..why am I suddenly so worn-out……..?”

As I plodded through the castle’s vast grand hall, my voice came out like a dead tree blowing in the wind.

[Carol]: “Me too……. Hey, should we just go back to our room and sleep for the rest of the day?”

[Toslin]: “What are you saying? You’ve only just finished lunch, and we have to visit the church next.”

Carol was walking right next to me with the same vacant stare on her face.

I’ve seen her like this once before. Back in Relton village. Having confessed an old sin of hers, Rose-san spanked her butt in punishment. The next morning she woke up with a swollen butt and spent most of the day with this exact same look.

[Toslin]: “Carol and Iris were used like toys by those seamstresses.”

Ah, she’s right. They used me like some display model and kept forcing me to change from one outfit to another.

Saluena was finished relatively quickly while Noelia-san spent the whole time gracefully drinking tea while silently watching us change clothes. I thought it was strange. Halfway through, it seemed more like the seamstresses were putting in their own personal requests instead of getting us ready for our meeting with the king.

[Rose]: “Please stay strong Iris-san, Carol-san. We have a carriage waiting for us at the entrance. If you can make it there, you can sleep on our way to the church.”

[Iris]: “O-Okay…….”

[Carol]: “Uuu, Toslin, carry me……..”

[Lapris]: “Pfft, you’re both a couple of weaklings.”

[Iris]: “I don’t want to hear that from Lapris, the fairy who rides on Unicorn’s back wherever she goes.”

[Carol]: “Agreed. Let’s have someone play dress-up with you for three hours like you’re some kind of doll. Then you can know our pain.”

[Lapris]: “I’m fine with what I have on. Besides, I doubt human hands could make fairy clothes.”

Well, I guess what Lapris says is true. The clothes she’s wearing now has a lot of lace and frills, and it’d probably be impossible to knit something like that with any tools that a human could handle.